1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Are These Things Under Bobcat Skin?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Mar 20, 2020.

1. i have a guess as to what these are but I want to know if you’ve seen the same in your mammals. The bobcat I skinned today had hundreds of black pointy things under the skin and on the surface of the muscle. Not ticks. I know what ticks look like. Most were tiny but some were almost a centimeter. Here are a few pictures.
    46D6A95D-7B56-4B16-AF1B-D1B6414F749A.jpeg DAFA0130-0446-40B2-B522-5DEC61FDD82F.jpeg 41F1833F-4E28-464B-A50D-2A93FA58B41D.jpeg A3091953-1ABD-49D9-A743-1DD7D47E26DA.jpeg

2. joey font

joey font Member

PA
    Looks like tips of thorns and small pieces of branches. I see them all the time.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Correct! Western bobcats are full of cactus pricks. Seems like it would be painful, but I suppose it's part of their life.

4. Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Were lucky to have dexterity to remove those pesky buggers.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I don't know about dexterity, but those opposable thumbs sure do help - ha! ;)

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I see them in a lot of our deer from West Texas too. I got snagged pretty good by a cactus needle embedded in a deer hide that I had missed. I had it mounted up and was grooming it and running my hand down the neckline and that sucker got me!

joeym and Vulpes Vulpes like this.