1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question (another) About Tumbler Media

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Guillaume, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a fur tumbler (5.5 feet diameter) for my own tanning use. (Only small games I trap, like beaver, otter, coyote, fox, mink, muskrat, fisher etc.)

I'm building a closed tumbler (with media), and I wonder if I really need an "open" one as well, like the ones that have wire mesh instead of plywoods. Is it only to clean hides from the dust, and if so, is there another way to do it ?

And for the media, how often will I need to change the saw dust ? (There's no grit where I'm from). I was thinking adding golf ball with the saw dust, wath do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance, really appreciated.

2. A cage, drum with mesh, will help but if you are not doing large volume you can shake the dust out or use a blower. Another option is just make a second drum door with mesh instead of solid, just shovel the sawdust out, throw the skins back in and run it. Takes longer than a cage but will work fine.

As far as changing it goes, that all depends on how many skins you run nd how wet and dirty it is, you will need to make that decision as you go.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020

3. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Thanks ! I will try the door interchangeable solid vs mesh, seems a good alternative.

For the golf ball, do you think it can help the breaking process ?

4. I think the golf ball will just make a lot of noise for very little results. A few 2x2's lagged onto your baffles so they make pegs sticking up a few inches above the baffles will help a lot.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

In commercial tanneries, it's often a 2 in one, with the caged drum incorporated beside the enclosed one. When you remove skins from the enclosed door, you toss them into the cages area, flip the switch and rotate til most of the sawdust stops falling out.