1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Problem(i Think)

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by drob, Mar 20, 2020.

1. drob

drob Active Member

I home tan my deer hides using trubond rub on and oxalic acid in my pickle along with over a pound of salt per gallon.The tanning process it self seems to work fine.I get plenty of stretch,etc.The problem I'm having is that the hair under the nose falls out from time to time! I've tanned 12 hides so far this year and had prolems with 2.Just wondering if this is a tanning problem or just something that happens ?!Hard to paint it to make it look natural!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off the biggest misconception is ITS THE TAN!
    Ok I said that or yelled ,screamed etc lol
    Tanning never ever causes slippage.......
    It only tans the skin not hair.
    It’s the process before That causes this.
    It could be bacteria caused by poor handling by the time it was dispatched to the way it handled by you. This is where your problem lies.
    Now you need to figure out what caused it?
    Hunter issues?
    Your handling, the pickle, was it always stirred, pH correct salt salinity, shaved to thin?
    This is your homework now. So forget blaming the tan .
    Ps I’m not a user of rub on tans or a spoke person for tru-bond . I have tested their products and have found them on the higher end of rub on tans!!
    I use ez-100 to which I get a higher quality tan but that doesn’t make it any better for mounting purposes. JMO

3. drob

drob Active Member

Thankyou for the help!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.