1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fox Eye Help!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Sam 10November1775, Mar 22, 2020.

1. It seems whenever I set the eyes in my foxes they look ok but then when the skin goes on they are cross eyed. Anyone got a photo of the clay work with eyes set on the manikin they would care to share? I have lots of reference photos of grey foxes but that doesn't do much good for the clay work underneath the skin. Thanks for any and all assistance.

Don't know if it matters but I am using McKenzie forms and I think they are Van Dyke eyes.

Sam

2. Predator eyes should be set looking apart, otherwise they will look cross-eyed.

Watch this:

3. Thanks for posting the video Vulpes! I think I see where my problem is...

Sam

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

On predators, I find I really need to stand back several feet, even across a room, to get the eye set right. Just working on the eye set in front of the mount without viewing from afar, will result in a cross eyed for me.

I also set the eyes in a bed of clay, so I can move the eye using a pin after tucking. Sometimes I need to do this the next day after mounting, when I have "fresh eyes."