1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Correct Way To Skin A Wing

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Bruce M, Mar 26, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Bruce, Your warden has NO authority to issue any federal permit at all. Road kills on protected species are confiscated by the state and they can then offer them to licensed permit holders. for preservation or display. If there is no donation, they are destroyed. When you contacted them with the Owl, and informed them with your intentions, you would then file with the USF&W for the proper permit. The DNR would hold the bird until a permit was issued. In your case, you would not get the permit for possession since you are one person who doesn't even hold a common USF&W Migratory Bird Permit. Your school must also have a federal permit to hold and display the Owl. Permit issue can take 30 to 90 days. At this point, you are in violation of federal law spelled out fully in the CFR's If it was me, I would take the invalid DNR paperwork and the Owl to your state regional USF&W office and follow their recommendation to cover your ass. It will most likely be confiscated and donated to a legal permit holder.

2. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

I really appreciate your insights and knowledge about this matter and for taking the time to spell it out so clearly for me. It is definitely something I have learned a valuable lesson from and will be much more cognizant of in the future. It also forced me into the regs which I now realize I should have done in the first place. Thanks again.

3. crablover

Still doesn't change the fact that you are in violation and posses an illegal Owl. What do you plan to do to solve that?

4. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

I have initiated contact with both state and federal environmental law enforcement and am conducting research ...I will let you know what I find out. You have definitely shown me some valuable info and pushed me in the right direction and for that I am thankful to you.

5. Hopefully they let you apply for a permit retroactively. I was surprised how everyone was beating you up over it. I’ve never dealt with birds of prey. Would the feds really give a teacher a such a hard time even if he had a educational license from the state? I get that it wasn’t sufficient but it was a mistake by the State for not knowing better and giving you incorrect information.

Bruce M likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes, they would. I know of people that paid dearly for honest mistakes. They can be real bastards. Not all of them, I have known some real good ones who have used commonsense and compassion when it comes to things like that. I have known others who throw the book and everything else at you for the simplest of mistakes.

Bruce M likes this.
  7. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    The DNR is in violation

8. Fallenscale

NY
    Migratory Bird permit not needed if taxidermy your own bird

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

even without buying a dvd there is plenty of free videos on youtube

magicmick likes this.
  10. crablover

Fallenscale, You are correct if this was a legal huntable species, but it is not. Protected species require the proper paperwork and that is through the federal government, not the state.
    Vulpes Vulpes, there is no such thing as an educational permit with the USF&W. If the USF&W would issue a permit for this Owl, it would be a Salvage Permit and would be issued to the school, not BruceM. Until BruceM gets the proper paperwork he is 100% illegal having the bird. The Owl should be turned over to the DNR asap until he gets the proper permit. If caught now, he is in big trouble and can be charged in federal court and can be fined thousands with possible jail time. I am sure this thread has been flagged by the USF&W already since they monitor taxinet like they do E Bay,Craigslist along with any other sites where buying and selling of animals happens. Every taxidermist should know the laws and should also have a full set of the federal CFR's available

3bears and 13 point like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

crablover is right on here. When I wanted to pickup a road killed raccoon, which it is illegal to posses road killed animals here in Oregon, I called the ODFW and they said I needed a state salvage permit before I picked it up. I asked if I needed a federal permit and they said only if the animal, which is usually raptors and song birds among other species of animals, was under federal protection and the permit would not go to me in that case. The raccoon did not fall under federal protection.

Disclamer; Now it is legal to posses road killed deer and elk and if you have a fur bearers hunting and/or trapping license, you may pick up fur bearers during the trapping/hunting season.

12. Fallenscale

NY
    If that is the Case I believe it is it's still the DNR officer that is in violation

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Both are in violation but I can bet that the state warden isn't going to take a hit for Bruce .

14. Fallenscale

NY
    It is true ignorance is no excuse for the law. Bruce did call the DNR for a permit and the DNR did not preform there job. In this case he was not ignorant of the law he call a official of the law to find out what was needed or maybe even if he could mount. Not saying there can't be stink but in the end I'm sure he will be held harmless.

This is a good subject to have on this site to educate newbies.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree that many folks need to be educated about this subject but also find it assinine that it is needed. It is not our job to educate the masses in regards to laws but yet this time of year I will typically have to do exactly that. This warden unfortunately failed to take the proper steps to handle this owl and educate Bruce, that is part of their job as well as enforcement of the laws.
    I do hope this works out as best as it can for Bruce.

Fallenscale likes this.
  16. crablover

Something is really wrong with this whole thread now. If you have contacted both the state and federal agencies and are still holding this Owl, then there must be more to this issue. USF&W would have instantly taken it along with the invalid state permit. Something is amiss here. For the sake of educating others here, post a picture of the DNR permit. I will gladly post a picture of what a valid USF&W permit looks like so others can become familiar with an actual document.
    How did you make the Owl body and how did you mount the head?

17. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Not correct. The permit must be in your possession and posted in your shop at the time of taxidermy. It says right on the permit. 1.jpg

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

socal, are you saying that if I shot a duck, mounted it and put it on the wall in my house I would need to get a migratory bird permit? I know I don't need to have a state permit if I do taxidermy for myself.

I'm not asking in relationship to Bruce's situation, but as a general question. I was always under the impression I didn't need a migratory bird permit if I only did it for myself. I have never mounted a migratory bird and never planed to, so I never researched it very far, but, I would still like to know.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Except the taxidermy being an owl, he could not mount it for himself. He was mounting it for the educational facility. Therefore the permit was needed.

When a guy came to my shop and told me a hawk chased a robin into his window and both died, he wanted to know if I could mount them. They were laying dead in his rose bushes. I called the state and federal agencies as well as other taxidermists and research on line before I called the person and said I wasn't willing to spend days and dollars to get all the permits so, it was a "no go".

There is no doubt here that the DNR was wrong, however, more research could have been done to make sure if further permits were needed or not. It is a sad situation and it could go either way, a slap on the wrist or a book thrown. They are capable of doing either and I have witnessed both extremes to people I have known.

20. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

You DO NOT need a USFW Migratory Bird Permit to conduct taxidermy on your own legally taken birds.

You DO need a USFW Migratory Bird Permit to conduct taxidermy on someone else's legally taken birds. (see below screenshot of application for the permit. First sentence under NOTE:)

The entity that wishes you to perform taxidermy on a protected species, let's use a Barred Owl for this example, must provide you with copies of their Federally Issued permit(s) that makes it legal for them to possess the Barred Owl. They must obtain those permit(s) before acquiring the owl.

Eagles are a whole other can of worms!!

upload_2020-4-3_13-17-2.png

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Vulpes Vulpes likes this.