1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine Making Very Small Shavings

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DeadThingsTales, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Just got an old used Dakota V fleshing machine for a great price, but I am learning that you get what you pay for! Trying it out on some practice beavers after the pickle and it shaves off very small pieces with each pass - maybe half an inch to an inch wide.

Looking over tutorial videos seems that it should be cutting a much bigger area. Would this primarily have to do with my technique? Or is this what I should expect from the old rusty blade it came with?

Unfortunately it also did not come with tuning steels, I think my next step would be to order some and learn how to use them. Attached are pictures of its current setup, but I admit it's pretty hard to see.

Mostly I am wondering if I can fix this conundrum myself or if I need to buy a new blade or get this one reground.

Any advice appreciated - Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. joey font

joey font Member

PA
    I don't think tuning steels are going to fix your problem. From the photos, the blade looks like it needs replaced or reground. I would buy a new blade. Also, your guards need adjusted. The blade looks way too exposed. If you get a new blade, be very careful, they are very sharp, and start out with a little blade exposure and adjust from there. There are videos you should search for and watch about fleshing machines.

3. You need the steels! Also the video from McKenzie. Also the blade looks pretty ruff. Your guards need to be adjusted, plus a bit more pressure on the hide as it cuts.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Everything the above have stated , get new blade then send that out to be reground . Adjust guards to get the bite your looking for and lastly clean with windex and spray with WD 40 after each use .

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Or one good fall black bear