1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mule Deer Cape Ears Thin And Tearing When Rehydrated

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Shrews5, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Shrews5

Shrews5 New Member

Any advice on a very good detailed video on caping and fleshing?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sent u a pm

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What were the instructions?

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

There was many problems with that tannery in the past when it comes to taxidermy tanning, there great for wall hanger and garment tanning. Wet or dry tan should not make one bit of difference on outcome of a finished product, used both for 25+ years

5. Shrews5

Shrews5 New Member

Instructions were to soak the head, ears, nose for 20 mins then soak the rest of the cape for 10 mins. In 1 cup of salt to 5 gallons warm water.

What tanneries do you guys suggest?

Also I pieced the ears back together and glued the on the ear liners. Thanks for that tip. I mounted the deer this afternoon and I hardly had anything to tuck in the front part of the bottom of the mouth. How would you guys pin that in to keep it from pulling away when it dries? Or what would you recommend?

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you have good glue, hide paste under it just keep pushing it up every few hours as it dries . I never pin lip lines I just push the skin up and retuck constantly till dry . With good glue and staying on top of it , it will never pull away or gap

7. Shrews5

Shrews5 New Member

Ok thanks I’ll keep an eye on it and stay on top of it.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always soaked a cape in a plastic container with about 7 gallons of water and a hand full of salt for about an hour. Pulled it out, squeezed the water out with my hands, let it drip for twenty minutes or so and then put it in a garbage bag over night in the fridge. The next day it is fully rehydrated, and the cartilage is pliable, even the tips of the ear canal are super pliable.

9. Shrews5

Shrews5 New Member

I’ll try that next time. I put it in a bag to sweat overnight as well. Maybe soaking it all for an hour would be a good idea. Thanks