1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Good Reference Books For Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Timw, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Timw

Timw New Member

Needing recommendations on books I can purchase so that I can have good reference photos to look at. Thanks in advance

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Probably your best reference these days is what a lot of us use is google.
    I find a lot more on there and either print them or make a folder, name it and download them there. Books are more of the past.

George likes this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

http://www.alaskanorthtaxidermy.com/

Phil has CD's with reference photos of all kinds of critters. Some CD's have up to 150 pictures on them. Well worth the money. I have a couple dozen volumes.

Vic

Doubled-d65 and socalmountainman like this.
  4. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Active Member

You didn’t state what animals you are interested in, but I purchased The Great Gallery of Ducks and Other Waterfowl by Richard LeMaster for waterfowl reference and it is excellent. Taxidermy Today magazine also sells reference material which can be found on their website. As Kotula already mentioned, the web is a great source. I go to Bing images, search my subject, and save useful photos to my iPad for easy offline reference while in the shop.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Blessings

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

If you donate a little money to many of the world and national wildlife organizations, they usually will start sending you a calendar at least once a year and they all have tremendous reference photos of all kinds of wildlife.

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

...also Tim, Phil from www.alaskanorthtaxidermy.com has a sale on his CD's about twice a year where you can save 35% off the regular price. He has reference on mammals, birds and even fish. I think I now own most of his collection!

7. Timw

Timw New Member

I want to thank you guys for all the comments. I’m learning from a good friend of mine and we work on everything from your usual North America game to African game. Just trying to make the learning curve a lot shorter and make sure that I have the right look when finishing the mounts.

8. Valdo

Valdo Member

What I have found that has really helped me get reference is to subscribe to satellite TV and record National Geographic, Nature, or any other programs with your DVR. Then go back and watch your recorded programs on your big screen tv and use the slow motion button forward or back and when you see that close up picture you really like of the animal, snap a picture with your phone or camera. You'll be amazed at the amount of pictures and poses you can get for free especially when you have that high definition tv. Just a suggestion.