1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Slippage

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bruce M, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Is there anything that can be done when hair slippage is occurring? Hide was tanned - obviously wrong - just wondering if there is anything I can do to save the Cape or should I be starting to look for a new one? I'm new at this and learning. Thanks

2. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

CRAP!!!!!

Attached Files:

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A proper tan won't cause slippage. Everything that occurs before tanning is where the trouble is. It could be one step, two or all of them. There is a domino effect that can occur also. Bacteria is your enemy and everything you do prior to tanning should be to prevent them from working on your skins.

It's impossible to know what went wrong without knowing the the process from when it was shot to when you took this picture.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Yeah....im guessing that is where the problem lies or it could be that I froze the hide pretty wet at one point prior to tanning. That would be my fault. I saw you mention freezing a wet hide is BAD in another thread somewhere. Is it saveable?

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Or should I start over? I have a back up cape

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Once slipped you can't add that back, however, once it is dry, the hair shouldn't slip anymore. Freezing wet after the tan is where the problem can lie, not before.

When ever I have something like this happen, I just try stuff I have heard of to see what happens.

Bruce M likes this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve never ever had a problem with a wet or dry tanned hide put in the freezer , matter of fact I tan and put every cape directly in the freezer wet , I agree the issue started before the tanning but don’t think it’s from the freezing it wet .

tem and Bruce M like this.
  8. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Would you proceed with trying mount with this hide and hope the hair locks in when it is dry?

9. 13 point

If you dont mess with those spots and mount it then no more hair should come out and it will dry and be fine . Usually what has slipped will stop somewhere . Just don’t pull at it . If spots aren’t bad and it don’t bother you then mount it . I’m not sure what I’d do , as it’s not in front of me to judge . If it were a clients I’d call them and tell them the issue and ask what they would want me to do . We as taxidermist can’t garuntee hide or capes as we don’t know how they were taken care of in the field . I let all my clients know that and if there is the slightest odor of stink I write it on there receipt and call them immediately to cover my azz . Some slip spots you can cut out and mount others are still what I call loose and will dry but might have a raised hair area around it as the epidermis has kinda lifted then locked back in

Bruce M likes this.
  10. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

I'm gonna go for it...I was mixing. Bondo for the ears as I got your notification. I'm hoping that, once dry, the hair will lock. I made the mistake of pulling at a couple spots with the thought that, if I got to the edge of the bad spot, i could cut it out and stitch - which i did. But now there is another spot on the neck. BLEEP! I'm going to go for it - it is for a friend and he will take what he gets as I'm paying for all of it. I kinda want to see what will happen....figure all I will be out is time. If it is really bad, I will RIP it apart and use the backup cape I have. And I will have gained good experience. Here goes!!! I'll let you know - thanks for your support and insights!!

11. 13 point

Goodluck

Bruce M likes this.
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Ears in...going on the form now!

13. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

What I do is cut it out then sew it back up. Then do some clay work where the spot is going to be at on the form. That way I can press the seems in the clay and you wont see,or feel them as bad..

Bruce M likes this.
  14. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Thanks for that tip. Good idea.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Well, 13 point and Dwb5 and Tanglewood, it went together without any "noticeable" globs of hair falling out. Now I'm not going to even breath on it until it is gone dry, crossing my fingers each day until they won't go back!!!! If there is anything any of you think might work, I'm open to anything you think. I am a scientist and this is an experiment with a 7 hr. setup. I know, I'm slow. Thanks for all of your encouragement and suggestions.

Attached Files:

16. 13 point

Glad u got it together, not sure what you mean not breath on it till dry , you should be retucking and adjusting your mounts for the next 3-4 days , that’s how you keep anything from moving to far like your lip line and eyes , retuck and adjust them tomorrow and even the next day . You really want it to dry as slow as possible, I bag all all my mounts loosely, like I put a bag over the head let it sit on the rack and open at bottom, bag really isn’t even touching the mount just pulled over it .

Dwb5 and Bruce M like this.
  17. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Thanks, going to do the bagging before I go to bed. What I got from others is that the slipping hair might lock down once the mount is dry. But I will also monitor like you said over the short term to make sure things stay in shape and I place....good reminder

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Bruce, you didn't ask for a critique, however, I just wanted to say that if that mount dries to look as well as it does now, your friend should be pleased.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Thanks - that is a very nice compliment. And I am open to critiques any time from you . Thanks for your encouragement.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Working on the mount from 2 weeks ago. Hair seems to have locked. Doing some gentle grooming and nothing falling out. I think I'm going to start pickling hides and see if that gives better results.