1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Restoring A Rainbow Trout

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishtech2029, Mar 28, 2020.

1. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

got that right clue customer service is a big thing with me too I get a lot of references from other people that were more than satisfied with what I done for them in the hvac trade so that's what I want to try and do when I get into this field .if you do good for someone it goes a long way and if it goes bad your name is mud I know how it goes it travels fast

FishArt likes this.
  2. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Fishtech2029. I really do wish the best of luck to you. Hopefully I didn't mislead you on pricing though because even at the most novice level $5.50 per inch would be too low now days. One other comment I made to my instructor was " I need to get more practice". And he said " where are you going to get more practice?" I will also share. I am the proud owner of a basement full of incomplete fish mounts. All mine. Caught and purchased. All of them in various states of completion. I have the skinning and the mounting down pretty good. Painting? Oh boy. That's a problem. Every time I get one completed and think "dam that looks pretty good" I see one on here and I'm reaching for the paint remover. Be disciplined with yourself. Recognize when you have made even the slightest improvement and move forward. Be fair to yourself. Do not go down the rabbit hole to perfection like I did or else you'll end up like me. Lots of incomplete fish mounts because your waiting until you get better. It's not pleasant and it takes the joy and interest out of the hobby. I have several mounts that were really nice and I failed to realize it at the time. I removed the paint/ruined the fins and have never been able to duplicate the awesome job I had done.Perfectionism is great for those who don't realize they have it. For those who try to achieve it go through hell.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Ditto on most of the above. All except your second to last item. All of my restore jobs are firm price so I live with what I quote no matter how long it takes. And so do my clients. That goes both ways. Plus, the customer likes to know exactly what it's going to cost up front. My estimates are usually close (after many years of doing this!), but rarely spot on. IF you're running your quotes like an auto-mechanic with say 15% fudge factor in there with a "not to exceed" amount, then I could see returning some of their money. AND, that way you're getting more than your original estimate sometimes too. But, I cannot see sticking to your firm price estimate on the top end but then giving your customer a price break because you came in low. Unless of course you also ask for more money if you come in over your original estimate???

Everybody runs their business differently, so I'm not giving you grief here. I'm just curious if you also get more money sometimes if you blow the estimate when you're giving the low ball estimate folks some money back? IMO it should be all or nothing here and I guarantee you George Roof would agree with me - ha! Heck, I have a friend in this business who charges $9/inch to finish replicas. He makes his clients buy the blanks and ship them to him. Weird IMO. And no way to account for the variety of quality in blanks and amount of work!

fishtech2029 likes this.
  4. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

got that right clue customer service is a big thing with me too I get a lot of references from other people that were more than satisfied with what I done for them in the hvac trade so that's what I want to try and do when I get into this field .if you do good for someone it goes a long way and if it goes bad your name is mud I know how it goes it travels fast

5. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

To answer your question fish art no I don’t give money back and yes on occasion I have asked for more money if I don’t get it I offer a service plan which works most of the time my estimates are usually firm some time people will nickel and and dime you to get the price down then I’ll haggal about it if not I tell them to get the cheaper price. After that they think about it and most of the time I win .it all depends on the people . In the hvac trade it’s to hard to talk to people because they always want to low ball you like I said before you got very good points ..... thanks fishtech2029

FishArt likes this.
  6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying - we conduct business the same on all counts then! ;)

fishtech2029 likes this.
  7. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

Good old fashion competition in business I've seen many start like you said and did crap work top dollar charges 3 years later back at construction work

8. Vick

Vick New Member

I like the way that you estimate the cost and time. Like taking a car to the mechanic each certain job takes x amount of time to do at x rate plus parts. Makes it easier for me to comprehend the pricing structure.

FishArt likes this.
  9. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

I know what your saying wild brookie im no pro im starting out like anyone else theres a lot to learn and the only way is by your mistakes the fish ive done so far are my own the rainbow that im talking about here was done by a local person and it was a mess that's why I redone it not even the colors or markings matched I paid good money in 1990 to get it done and now I see it was not done right . but you know anyone can make a mistake and I will not take any fish there again . even my brook trout I caught are missing markings you can see it in the fish . I wish I had your years in it then I can call myself a pro that's your life and this is a hobby for me im still in the hvac trade and going to be there for awhile yet ive done 35 years there so im looking for something else to do when I retire . ive learned a long time ago no matter what you do you cant please everyone the work ive done so far im proud of what I done and took my time doing it.. people have already commented on my work so that means something to me ... don't worry wild brookie im not after your job im trying to do a good job and have fun doing it thanks for the heads up fishtech2029