1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Squirrel Pelt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Parker R., Mar 30, 2020.

1. Parker R.

Parker R. New Member

i managed to get a roadkill squirrel in good condition and decided to try my hand in preserving the pelt. I fleshed it, put it in a pickling solution for 24 hours then in an alum tanning solution for 24 hours and then let it dry for over a week. i’ve been checking on it and trying to soften it out on a table edge it seems to be working but the flesh side is VERY oily. is this an issue? what should I do to fix this?

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Did you oil after the alum preserving? Should be no natural oil or fat

3. Parker R.

Parker R. New Member

no i haven’t added any oil at any point :/

4. Fallenscale

NY
    Did to salt it after to fleshed it to pull the natural fluid out of the pelt? Did you wash the pelt with any soap (dawn)? Squirrels are not that greasy or oily.

If it is natural oil it will go Rancid

5. Parker R.

Parker R. New Member

i put it in a pickling solution but didn’t put any just straight up salt on it. if there’s this much oil you said it will go rancid? is it beyond saving? it wouldn’t be the biggest loss because it was roadkill and my first try but still disappointing.

6. Fallenscale

NY
    I would wash it in dawn. Then soak in alum again for 2 to 4 hours.

Jtown likes this.
  7. Emers48

Emers48 Active Member

I used to use the alum tanning method a lot on small critters when I was just starting out. I would always salt the pelt for at least 1-2 days before putting it in the pickle for 12 hours or so and then salt it again, roll it up, and put it on a slanted surface to further draw out any of those oils. Then I washed it with dawn before putting it in the alum solution. After the pelt turned white in the solution (about a week) I would work it over a board with some oil to soften it and wash it one more time with dawn before letting it dry. Hope this helps :)