1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Horns From Euro Mount

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by cupofjoe04, Mar 30, 2020.

1. cupofjoe04

cupofjoe04 New Member

This may be an odd question, but I don’t know where else to turn! Thanks in advance for any help.

I just got back a pronghorn euro, and I’m less than pleased with the results. He put metal paint on the skull, but neglected some areas and some spots are already chipping. I can fix that, as I’ve learned how to metallize skulls since this one was taken. Also, 3 teeth are missing. I can live with that too, unless someone has a suggestion to replace them?

What bothers me the most is the position of the horns. He pressed them all the way down to the eye socket, instead of leaving them an inch or two higher (as my other one is, and others I have seen as well). It gives the horns an unnatural look.

I can clearly see some sort of pink hardened substance under the horn sheath. I suspect it is bondo (correct me if I am wrong). It is visible to even a causal observer, and I think it could have been cleaned up better.

My question is: is there any way to remove these horns and put them back at the proper height? How would I go about safely removing them if they have been bondo’ed or otherwise glued in place? Or am I just stuck? I can fix all the metal coating, and will probably redo it all myself. But I don’t know how to get the horns off, if it is even possible.

In the pics you can see the horn placement, the pink adhesive (or whatever it is), and some of the chipping/neglected areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is one I did for reference of the height I am looking for.
    [​IMG]

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most likely they are just glued down with bondo or something like such , I would just start twisting on them and pulling , try that if that don’t work soak horns in water for a few hours and try pulling again , just don’t soak for days as it will soften the horns up some

3. cupofjoe04

cupofjoe04 New Member

Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate the advice.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you want to remove the horns, apply heat with a hair dryer (or sparingly from a heat gun) and they should release.

msestak likes this.