1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Whitetail Mount-critique Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick1176, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

First completed whitetail mount. I think the brisket is to high on the form and had some trouble getting the lips tucked all the way so the mouth opened up a bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    857A2E1E-DDAD-4B93-826F-20990A4360B6.jpeg 29336D68-9CE2-43ED-B800-76CB674366F7.jpeg

961332CA-D97A-4FD7-8D8C-E2CECD213C5A.jpeg

Bruce M and Micah Howards like this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I seem to be the guy that goes first on these kinda things , I’m not trying to discourage you just remember that and as I’ve told others , you can call me for more help just pm me for my number. For one reference reference reference. Look at pictures and learn how to interpret them . Look at the hair patterns of a live deer . Your brisket leg edge is up to far on side of form , that hair edge should be much lower in leg pocket . Your ear butts have no muscle definition and are set high , as far as your lips , it should be hair to hair except a little in front bottom lip , I see this all the time with newbies and I did it 35 years ago to , you don’t just set it and forget it , you must retuck and groom and adjust things twice a day for 3-4 days , as thing move you move it back we’re it belongs till it stays there and is dry . You don’t want it to dry fast you want it to go slow , I bag things loosely to help . If you have to use more then a small marble size of finish material , your not there yet . Deers nose rolls in and should have no flat or sharp edges, also internal color is not black or even dark in color . Nodgels on nose , follow the pattern of the nose , don’t just make your own . Tear ducts are also hair to hair there is basically no finish work needed when tucked correctly, ck reference for eye shape . All that said , it is not terrible but much room for improvement. I shoot straight and is what I would want when I ask , keep at it you well on your way . I’m posting a picture of one of my mounts so you can see I practice what I preach and not just busting , I want to help . Pm me anytime for my # if I can help

Attached Files:

BlackBeard29, drob and Micah Howards like this.

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

A lot of the state conventions are closed to to the corona, but if you have a state association I would encourage you to join it. You will learn a lot and meet good people that are happy to help. You can have your mounts judged and get a score sheet listing all the things you can improve on. There are seminars and good deals on supplies also. What state are you in?

BlackBeard29 likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Once upon a time I had a graphic here showing proper earbutts placement. It was on two live deer in a pen so I wasn't screwing with justifying where ears go on a deer, HOWEVER, if you were to take a straight edge and lay it on the nare opening of the nose and run it through the center of the eye, it would continue through the center of the deer ear opening. Those are not my rules, those belong to Mother Nature. You also have your ears rotated too far back. The external ear protects the inner ear. It acts as a shelter so that the rain doesn't fall down its ear hole. Even when alert, there is that slight cup over the inner ear opening.

Just out of curiosity, is this a Joe Meder form? That form is absolutely horrible IN MY OPINION as they lead the taxidermist in mis-setting both the ear butts and the antlers themselves. Just my opinion, however.

5. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

I am in NY

6. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it. George the form is from Tasco. What form do you recommend?

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Here the pics it wouldn’t let me post on our pm s A0B50342-FA48-413D-94FB-2DC1BC9C0C18.jpeg 2D2D0F1F-BB6C-44FA-8006-7AB3CCFA8C1C.jpeg

big dan likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Did you use Bondo in the ears?

9. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Yes I did

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I can tell that you did. The ear shape it's self is too narrow on it's left ear. Something I typically see in Bondo ears.

11. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Yeah that ear didn’t turned out as good as the other one. Are replica ear butts and ear liners the way to go?

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I used earliners most of the time. When I did use Bondo, I used an earliner for reference. As far as "the way to go", try it both ways and see which way you like.