1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African Game Heads Starting To Fall Apart.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by miwai, Apr 1, 2020.

1. miwai

miwai New Member

Hello from Hawaii. I have some African heads that are seriously deteriorating. First one was a mountain reedbok and it's totally gone... because I did nothing when I saw the skin peeling. The second one is a Kudu and ear skin folded over from the tips...in the past couple months a hole has developed under the chin and white lumpy powdery material is dropping on the floor. I just noticed that my zebra head mount also has white powder coming out under the chin when I touch it. These mounts are about 15 years old and I would like to try salvaging them myself. I'm planning to take the kudu mount off the wall and put it on a mounting stand upside-down to see what that hole under the chin is about and how I can fill the hole and re-glue the skin. I already have Bondo at home and plan to order hide paste and sculpt from McKenzie...what else should I order from McKenzie? And what should I be looking for after I take the kudu off the wall? Thank you for any tips. Hope I'm posting this in the right place. Aloha. Michael

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have bugs/beetles to me , get all mounts in as small as a room you can and get some beetle bug bombs and set off , I would do this 3 - 4 times over a 3 week period leaving them in room . Do with all mounts now not just what you think is infected, if that don’t work you might have to throw them out .

miwai likes this.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    What if he cover the with a plastic sheet to control the beetle bomb better. Instead of it all over the room.

Bruce M likes this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

He could but if a lot of mounts and such less area better penetration into each animal if in smaller area . Better hope the bugs aren’t into carpet and furniture. If so call an exterminator quick.

Bruce M likes this.
  5. miwai

miwai New Member

13 Point and Fallenscale... thank you for your replies. Bugs and beetles sound scary. So far I've put a large piece of paper about 3 feet square under the mount...in the past 4 days I just see white dust that have fallen. I will go and buy some bug bombs when I have the chance to go to the hardware store...stay at home orders because of this virus making it hard to leave home. I live in a different house from where the mounts are...but I hope to take the mounts off the wall in a week or so. I'll put it on a mounting stand and take some pics and see if I can post it here. The repair of this thing will surely be a challenge for me...lol.

6. miwai

miwai New Member

7. miwai

miwai New Member

Oh Boy... sounds pretty serious...and scary. I'll go buy some beetle bug bombs and take your suggestions. With this Stay At Home virus orders...might take some time to go shopping for the bug bombs. Thanks again for your help...Aloha. Michael

Fallenscale likes this.