1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Guarantee

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sportsman13, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Sportsman13

Sportsman13 New Member

Alright ladies and gents! This resource has been awesome, I'm still a newbie but gaining confidence. I'll post some pictures of the two I'm currently working on and the next project (mummified deer skull). Anyways, I'll get to the point. I only do skulls for myself, family and friends. Even for them I want to guareentee a job well done. What's your process for taking a skull that has been "degreased", whitened, and sealed with paraloid b-72 that after time,starts to yellow or have grease surface? This can even be hypothetical. I know many of you are damn good and never have anything come back. Many thanks, have a great night and stay safe!!

2. blindluck

blindluck Member

You could just dissolve the paraloid then degrease and whiten again.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A soak in acetone or denatured alcohol will remove the paraloid. Depending on what is showing for grease (and it isn't an antlered skull) I will just leave it in acetone for a month, then into detergent and/or ammonia till it looks good again. I have yet to have one of mine come back though I have had people bring me ugly ones from someplace else and ask me to try and fix them. This is why you don't rush the job to begin with or let a skull leave your shop until it is done. People will whine because "Bubba" from down the road boils his and they get it back in a week. I have a couple of "Bubba" skulls that are several years old to show them. Also one that was over boiled with soda so they can see what the chemical will do to bone.

Richard C and Chippers like this.
  4. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    Sea Wolf when you say boiled with "soda" are you referring to baking soda?

Also, can someone explain to me what the paraloid is

5. Sea Wolf

Sal soda, soda ash, washing soda, baking soda .. all amount to the same thing. Baking soda is different, but, when you heat it in boiling water, it converts to the other chemically. All of them are sold as a "helper" in simmering skull kits as it dissolves the flesh away. It also destroys the calcium in the bone causing the whole thing to disintegrate into powder when it dries. Use the Advanced Search on here for a lot of reading on Paraloid B 72. It is a museum grade resin that has many uses. It can be used to seal a skull to protect it. It does not yellow or discolor in time. It is also one of the few things that can be used to preserve a badly damaged skull that was over boiled or chlorine bleached and falling apart. My first post on this was back in 2006. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/2213/#post-10604

6. Sportsman13

Sportsman13 New Member

Appreciate the info as always. I never want to be "bubba". I agree, I set the expectations on the front end.

7. Sea Wolf

Some of the new folk on here keep pointing to YouTube videos. There may be some useful things out there but there is also a lot of incredibly bad information. One thing if you are doing stuff of your own to nail to the garage wall. Another if you are going to charge clients to work on their trophies.

hoytarcher likes this.