1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Little Help On Coyote Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gryphonman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Gryphonman

Gryphonman New Member

My son wanted to tan a coyote that we trapped. I bought a tanning kit from Tannit and we followed the supplies instructions. After applying the tanning solution the legs and belly skin turned white and stiff but the rest did not. Does this mean that he did not scrape it thin enough? Is it going to stink? The fur looks good still (outside of the holes he put in it lol). I just would have thought that the whole thing would have turned white and stiff but I dont have any experience either. Thanks for any input and advice.

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok from what I can see , it looks like a lot of junk still left on. It looks like fat and membrane left on plus yet still looks wet and not totally dry yet.
    What hurts is your new to this and not having knowledge on what is properly fleshed, pickled etc . It’s a learning curve a lot goes through learning on their own.
    I would wash the skin, make sure it’s all hydrated again and redo the steps and clean it better. You might be able to save it.

Fallenscale likes this.