1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain Goat Hair

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by HOOKJAW, Apr 4, 2020.

1. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

I am mounting my first lifesize mountain goat and have a question for those with experience working with these animals. I received the dry tanned skin back from WLG tannery and it is in perfect shape. Rather than risk any problems with spoilage my client had WLG do all prep work ( fleshing, splitting,turning, salting) at their Alaska facility. I soaked up hide and sweat overnight in fridge. So here is my question... while trial fitting on the form I noticed that a lot of hair seemed to be breaking and shedding as a i manipulated the skin on the form. This is not slippage because epidermis is fine....just mild breakage and shedding. Is this normal with mt goats?.... will it stabilize during drying phase.? i plan to blow out with cool compressed air.after mounting.. should I wait to brush and groom? At this point the hide still looks solid. Thanks to all...stay safe in this crazy time

3. Was the hide bleached from the tannery?

4. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

everything done at the tannery...all I did was soak/sweat according to WLG tannery instructions.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Think he is asking because if they whitened it , if they maid the mix to hot it could have made the hair thin and brittle. Try using a moisturizer conditioner the kind you don’t have to rinse out , spray on and comb in . It will help but I’d still be careful tho.

George likes this.
  6. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Sounds like a "hard" bleach happened,i.e. hair break not slip, luckily the have lots. Do what was suggested above, and proceed with caution. I would try a small test patch and see what happens prior to going all in. Last one I did I washed after mounting, not sure I would do it that way again, probably wash before mounting if I knew the tan was solid. You are gonna have to be super patient and cautious when grooming and combing as you will lose a lot of hair. A couple large toothed brushes or "picks" will work best. The hair being brittle won't be affected much by the follicle set that a slipping hide drying out does.

On the brighter side, goats have nice leather to work with, lots of stretch and easy to sew and work with. The heavy hair coat will hide a ton of form anatomy so don't worry about sculpting in leg veins and such.

George likes this.