1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critiques Please

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Apr 5, 2020.

1. just finished my first bobcat. Please give me you critiques and tips. Compliments welcome too.
    One mistake I made was to shave down the whisker pads too far and not build them back up with clay on the mannequin.
    Keeping the toes and claws aligned during drying was difficult. They could use some work.
    I used earliners with a polymer glue. I left cartilage in. Looking for other techniques to that will keep skin secured to the earliner.
    Thanks to old60furs for the frozen whole bobcat.

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Other techniques that will keep skin secured to the earliner would be to remove the cartilage.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I will let the more qualified mammal taxidermists give you their critiques, however, I do like your pose.

4. drob

drob Active Member

I really like the pose and over all composition.Although I have been "practicing Taxidermy' for quite a while I never feel qualified to critique others,with that being said-I think that the eyes would look better if the lids covered the pupil a little more.

5. Thanks drob. I struggle with that. The eyelids always pull away as they dry.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I see 3 things and pics could be the culprit on 2 . As you said your whisker pads could be fuller , the symmetry on your eyes and ears is off , but like I said could be pics , last thing if you could have just grabbed the hair tuffs on both sides of head and pulled forward towards nose kinda thing , it looks like they are to far back , not by much but back , by doing so it would give your head/face a fuller look . Other then those small things it looks real nice , great job . Here’s a thing to remember if your going to make one side different from the other like eyes and ears , make the difference big enough that anyone could tell you did it on purpose and it wasn’t a mistake, hope you understand what I’m saying . And as stated pull the cartilage off ear , I use liners and pro one hide paste , I tint the paste colors to match the critter I’m working on .

Vulpes Vulpes and Fallenscale like this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Ok, I lied. I must say that the ear shape and symmetry is way off. In the animal world, ears and eyes are everything as the are direct indicators of the mood and intention of the animal in most cases.

8. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Nice mount. A few suggestions.
    Ear symmetry is off.
    I don't think the nose color is correct. To much dark shade on the upper portion of the nose pad. Good reference pictures wold greatly assist with nose coloration.
    The fur does not have that clean fluffy look. Maybe the grooming? Most likely not squeaky clean and groomed fur.

Hope that helps.

9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Nice job for your first cat. As for the critique I think pretty much the bases have been covered. I feel you knew what most of what would be said that's good. Building block for confidence in your ability.

drob likes this.
  10. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

The form looks unnatural

rarestjewels likes this.
  11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I have to agree on the form, not natural

rarestjewels likes this.
  12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

An investment in Taxidermy Training Unlimited DVDs on bobcat mounting with world champion Brian Harness would do many wonders for your cat mounts. You will be doing yourself a dis-service by not purchasing the two DVDs. In my opinion, not owning these is not an option. McKenzie's DVD on bobcats by Jan Van Hoesen is also a must have. Quite a few bobcat forms available are her sculptures. Don't cut yourself short by not getting these, you won't regret it.

13. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

I think Cole has a Great and New dvd out on bobcats

Jeff70 and rarestjewels like this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

You can bet that a video from Cole will be top notch.