1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antiquing After Base Colours?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Apr 6, 2020.

1. 1tahr

1tahr Member

hi guys , Ive molded and cast a large rainbow jack , looking at the reference pics the red stripe thru the middle has an antiqued look to it with only the red showing in the scale pockets, if I seal my base colours let it dry then spray the red , then antique , will the steel wool ruin my other colours , I plan to go light , how do I correctly replicate this stripe, sorry cant upload pic

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

It’s worked for me before. Let your sealer fully cure 24 hours and go very light on your paint you plan to remove. Its a bit risky

3. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

You could also try powdered pastels and wipe off in one direction with a damp cloth.

3bears likes this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You have just discovered another technique to achieve the results you're looking for! I probably use steel wool more often than most throughout the painting process probably because I make more mistakes than those with superior air brush skills! ;) Steel wool works great on Walleye and Yellow perch stripes/markings! LM Bass "stripe", etc., etc., etc.. The BEST advice I think I can give to those starting out or even to those stuck in a rut is to experiment often! There are no rules other than compatibility with your paints/etc. Thinking outside the box will help you discover your way of doing things AND will keep you motivated over the long term. IMO...

JL, Sotired and 3bears like this.
  5. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

seal it then use water base paint . and wipe with a damp cloth

Sotired likes this.
  6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Actually if you use alcohol it will aid in the use of water base paints

Sotired likes this.