1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rug Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by oaktree, Apr 7, 2020.

1. oaktree

oaktree Member

Not sure if this is an odd question or not but when pricing a rug do you round up per foot, half foot or every inch example if you have a five foot eight inch bear do you charge five feet or five ft six inch.
    Thank you.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I do it by the foot and round it to the half foot.

3bears likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The only time I "rounded up" was when I did the mat at the end. Just like the leather producers, it was by the inch. I never quoted an exact price but told the client a "round figure" with a statement of "by the foot". If I charged $175 a foot, that amounts to $14.58 an inch. A 5'2" bear costs $904. Most time I "rounded down to the nearest $5 figure.

Glenn M likes this.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A great example to follow is the lumber business. If you know anything about lumber, you know its sold by the "board foot" ( 1x12x12). Yet when you go buy a 1x12, you actually get .75 x 11.5. But are still charged as a board foot multiplied by length. If you get a board 8'4", his calculator breaks that down as 4/12 board feet.

6. Vick

Vick New Member

Wow, i didn't realize a bear rug was so expensive. My cousin has one from a bear he got several years ago on a hunt.

7. oaktree

oaktree Member

Thank you everyone for the reply's.