1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Method For Staining Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jokerpie, Apr 8, 2020.

1. jokerpie

jokerpie Member

What staining method is best for whitetail antlers?

Thanks

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For touch ups , oil paste dark brown, put on wipe off till you get desired look . I have done this on whole rack but I really believe there are better options to get better tones but I’m color blind and can’t do them

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Rub on stains from Van Dykes - several colors/shades - that you can use individually or in combination to get the right shade to match.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I use potassium permagnate and oil paints.

5. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Potassium permango and oil paint. it depends on what kind of shape the antlers are in. Specifically how porous or weathered/"chaulky." Either media works, but you have to "sneak up" on the final result. A little at a time: shading, blending, etc. If you use PP, you need a couple coats of clear sealer to hold it in. I also like to put a couple good coats of whatever solvent(water, dentured alcohol, etc) you are using on, it helps the PP penetrate and blend. It needs to soak in rather than run off.

Gloves and a "disposable" work area are a must as well, PP stains are wicked and nearly permanent.