1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mail Service

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Richs Taxidermy, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I bought a mink from Idaho and it took 12 days to get to Illinois, has anyone else had trouble with slow service maybe due to the virus or did the post office do something wrong,thanks Rich

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No snail mail I only ship ups if it’s bigger then an envelope.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I mailed over thirty postcards to my students last Thursday 2 April 2020. A couple sent me messages through the school online platform. They just received them today, 9 April 2020. They were all local! The mail is moving slow right now for whatever reason.

4. Richs Taxidermy

I bet the mail man lost his lunch,I've smelled better July road kill

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I bought a raw, cased for lifesize badger from Bob Wendt on this site. He shipped it out frozen on Monday, April 6th, and I got it Wednesday, April 8th, still frozen. He used USPS Priority Mail Express and the shipping was $15 from Indiana to CA.
    I also received a stack of Modern Tax and American Tax magaznies from Drew Nettleton on Bob Wendt.jpg here and got those in three days about two weeks ago..... go figure!

6. drob

drob Active Member

Its just not normal to be that organized!

msestak and socalmountainman like this.
  7. kojak

kojak Active Member

I have been shipping USPS priority mail almost exclusively. Been shipping a lot of boxes all over the country and have had only one that showed up 2 days later than expected.
    Been having more problems with FedEx lately.

msestak and socalmountainman like this.
  8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

...and I do need to get some of your birds Kojak, just as soon as i get caught up (someday, lol)!!!

msestak likes this.
  9. Richs Taxidermy

This was shipped priority ,it got delayed somewhere,they won't give me an answer,12 days seems to long for sure

10. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    They did away with the mail sorter in our town now it travels 115
    miles to go 5 miles down road. Nothing surprises me anymore.

11. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Get a tracking number from the shipper enroll in text notification you will know where the packages every minute I just bought a Mink from Ohio to the Ozarks in Missouri priority mail 2 1/2 day It was thawed out but still Cold a beautiful black Mink is in the Tan waiting for me to make the body

12. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

my girlfriend is a window clerk for usps in NY,
    she is literally the last clerk working in her office, as every other clerk is using banked sick time, emergency leave, whatever,,,,because they were all terrified of getting sick from customers. She has not had a day off in something over 20 days, and the line at the post office is out the door and to the corner most days. Most post offices are working with a skeleton crew right now, so I guess be patient and dont ship perishable specimens right now....

drob likes this.
  13. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I have had normal shipping since the corona scare. I ship hundreds of packages a year, 100% perishables. last year I took a beating on a $1,000 cat that was shipped priority and it took 9 days to arrive. normal is 42 hrs close and 66 hrs far. I offered the buyer we split the loss 50/50 and I send him a refund of $500 immediately, or he wait till the next trapping for me to catch a similar cat to replace the rotten one. he chose the latter and I kept my word. the cat buyer was very gracious and waited a year for me to replace the cat. could not have been a $50 skull order, had to be the most expensive item I have ever sold in the last 25 years of shipping, maybe 10,000 successful items and the only delay was the $1,000 cat. easy come easy go!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    socalmountainman likes this.
  14. bob wendt

forgot one other, 10 skunk skins to az. took 2 weeks to get there. it was pulled out and sent for inspection because the drug sniffing dogs keyed in on it. the delay was getting to the inspection center and back. the buyer and I split the loss 50/50. I no longer ship any skunks to the south west on account of it. apparently a lot of drugs go thru that area and the drug shippers use skunk smell to try to fool the dogs.

15. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

1000$ bobcat is a beating

16. bob wendt

probably the biggest best cat of my life. like I said, easy come easy go.

17. Richs Taxidermy

Yes it left Atlanta then disappeared ,kept saying in transit

18. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I dont understand shipping sometimes either. I bought a pin raised woodduck off ebay a few months back . I think it shipped from Michigan and traveled all the way to Las Vegas I'm actually in Georgia lol . Lucky it looked to be still good thawed out of course.
    Tommy

19. Nepenthe

Nepenthe New Member

I had a small fortune of frozen whole pheasants and quail shipped to me Priority 2-day and it took 8 days to get them. When I finally got them the birds smelled awful and were hot from the ice packs thawing and the insulation heating up. What an awful awful shame. Sad for me, very sad for the seller. Several of my friend's who have shipped frozen raw skulls the past couple weeks have had their packages sit so long they start to smell and then get discarded. I've been dealing with the USPS for the past week to try and get the package moving and here's the information that I have.

USPS:: After dozens of calls to various people at USPS I was informed that 2-day Priority Mail is now taking an average additional 5-8 days cross country, and because of the virus's impact on the system USPS will probably not be honoring most refunds. I'm told that Priority Express (overnight) is running "on time with some delays" although they are honoring insurance if Priority Express is used. On hold times are between 45 min and an hour and a half, so that's nice also.

UPS:: UPS is running slow also, and has suspended their Service Guarantee for all shipments from any origin to any destination effective as of March 24, 2020

FEDEX:: FedEx Overnight is still arriving on time, though it is quite expensive.

Richs Taxidermy likes this.
  20. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

No not easy come easy go it was a Bobcat (or anything) what a waste of life..
    1000$ bobcat and you wouldn't send it 2-3 day ground fedx/ups? for free.
    lets see you sent 1000 bobcat (in your mine)and he paid the 1000 and got
    nothing and you got 500$for the cat still. o_OCool