1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tj Dias, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

The shipping is absolutely ridiculous for 8lbs worth of supplies

Attached Files:

2. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

Never will I order from them again

msestak likes this.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Must have been Mckennzie .... I don't usually order from them because of their high shipping costs but .... I just bought 8oz of paint and it cost me close to 20.00 for shipping alone ... I hate companies that make money on shipping or only use UPS ... USPS is by far the best IMO ... Cost me like 32.00 for one little bottle of paint . Won't order from them again either ... My bad cause I knew better ...

Bruce M and msestak like this.
  4. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

I will never order from them again it’s just ridiculous what they’re charge

msestak likes this.
  5. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

Research mannikins and Jim Allred for me here on out

Bruce M, GotHonks and msestak like this.
  6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What size was the box? how far was it shipped? What was in it, could it fly? These are all pertinent questions here. Did you call and ask them about it? It does seem high.

Bruce M, socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  7. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

Yes I did and they gave me the runaround

msestak likes this.
  8. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

Smaller than a deer form

msestak likes this.
  9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Personally I believe some taxidermy supply companies are using shipping as a way to make an extra buck at our expense and then blame it on UPS, FedEx, etc.

Bruce M, magicmick, GotHonks and 3 others like this.
  10. Vick

Vick New Member

Every company makes money on shipping.

msestak likes this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sorry to hear that. I'd be pissed as well but in the end my customers typically pay the shipping for supplies, not me. It has to be figured into your prices.

msestak and Glenn M like this.
  12. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Hazard materials fee's?

13. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Lonestartaxidermy.com.....

What did you order?

14. Tj Dias

Tj Dias New Member

No double rock base

msestak likes this.
  15. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

ripping people off !!

16. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

With the paint I'm sure there is but still ain't know way an 8x4" box that basically weighs less than a pound should cost nearly 20.00 to ship .. I guess in the grand scheme of things the clients and up paying for it .. I just don't care for companies that don't try their best to give buyers the best deals possible ... Free shipping is always the first thing I look for when purchasing anything Online ... Few if any Taxidermy suppliers have Free shipping ... I like Reasearch Mannikkin and Lone Star ... Shipping is reasonable and pretty fast ...

msestak likes this.
  17. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Are you in the boonies? $20 bucks seems excessive but between a haz fee ($10?) and perhaps an upcharge for delivering to some rural areas would explain that charge. Not to state the obvious, but whenever you order only one item from any supplier it is not cost effective for either you or them to ship a single item.

And TJ you don't give dimensions of the exterior of the box. Perhaps they could have put things in a smaller box? IDK. But key in those dimensions online and see what you come up with to send things back. Of course McKenzie getting a break for volume. And it could have come from a farther McKenzie location. My money says your overall dimensional weight numbers are big enough to bump you into the next tier of pricing. Plus all the other things 3Bears mentioned could explain your charges. Plus, you have to ask for USPS Ground or SPeeDee if available if you want the cheapest prices.

All I know is McKenzie and most/all of the other suppliers have been good to me through the years when it comes to shipping. But, then again I rarely order one item at a time and typically wait until I have a large order to take advantage of the discount. And more often than not I am actually surprised at how reasonable they can ship items vs what it would cost me! Heck, I've rec'd rock wall habitats and such where the peanuts, boxes and bubble wrap costs alone would be MORE than their shipping costs that they charged me!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  18. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

lucky I'm in the speedy zone. My Mckenzie shipments could not be any cheaper

msestak likes this.
  19. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

have no clue what others do. I can tell you I LOSE $ on near every box I ship. with insulation freezer pacs , packing time and effort, and 60 cents a mile round trip to the p.o. every monday it costs me a whole lot more than I charge. I hope my customers appreciate it, but suspect many look at the cost on the box and think I am making $ on shipping. a big NO!

20. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Sorry TJ Dias, we don't have enough information to explain your situation either way - negative or positive. Like 3Bears, my clients pay for my shipping. We have no idea how much business you do or if you have a good accountant to do your taxes for you so we can't give you any tips or advise. I know what I pay for shipping and I do not care, it is the cost of doing business. I can tell you that I average 3 years of shipping costs and divide that into my sales and get a percentage. That percentage is included in my overhead. Because I know MY overhead is $8.70 per hour, I add that amount to every price X the hours it took to mount.... deer shoulder mount 12 hours X $8.70 = $104.40. You guys can joke about me being Jewish but I guarantee you don't have to be Jewish to try and make money in this business. And by the way, I LOVE McKenzie! 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Bruce M, msestak and 3bears like this.