1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Head Down Whitetail Form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jljones527, Apr 9, 2020.

1. jljones527

jljones527 New Member

Hello All - this is my first post and thanks in advance for helping with my first shoulder mount for my oldest buck yet (6.5yrs)!

Looking for a form for a 136" Texas hill country (smaller head & body) whitetail in a head / chin down pose. Wanting to throw the rack out into the room as much as possible. Very few of the typical options actually lower the chin angle appreciably below horizontal.

Thanks to this forum, I'm aware of the McKenzie 64D, Ben Mears Hooking Aggressive, and Joe Coombs & Lancaster Semi Sneak Head Down forms. However, from the pics I've seen none of these seem to capture the natural appearance of the on-the-hoof pose (not my deer btw) and shoulder mount in the pictures below.

I also want to ensure an appropriate head size, but have learned here how I can work with my taxidermist to achieve that if the form is close to what I need in overall scale.

Guidance on other forms to consider and any example pics will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Why not just take a full sneak straight form and alter the head to look down

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

thats what they make sawzall for

Clovis Point likes this.
  4. jljones527

jljones527 New Member

Asked my taxidermist about that, he's wary. Says you can run into issues with the ears looking misplaced? I can push him further, he may just not want to do that much custom work. I've only ever done Euros, so not familiar with what's reasonable to ask. Appreciated.

5. 13 point

Sounds like your taxidermist doesn’t have much experience. Cutting the head off the form has nothing to do with ear placement, ear are attached to the head and in the same place no matter what . The anatomy of a deer won’t change if done correctly . Nothing personal but I’d be looking for a new taxidermist. Not sure what your paying but a more experienced taxidermist will cost more but will be worth it most likely, I would also expect to pay extra for alterations. Altering a form isn’t hard but you do need to know the anatomy of the critter you working on . Goodluck

6. jljones527

jljones527 New Member

Thanks for the help fellas!

Anyone have an idea who did the mount shown above, and/or what form was used?

7. 13 point

Like I said it looks like a semi sneak form with head altered

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  8. jljones527

jljones527 New Member

Hmm, it doesn't appear that way to me but point taken.

9. 13 point

My apologize after blowing pic up and looking it does look straight at back , then I’ll say it’s a semi sneak form with head altered down

10. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Does it matter if it's upright? Look at the foster majestic or aggressive forms.

13 point likes this.
  11. 13 point

Yea they have a fighting buck or locked antler kinda form that might work, good call 15 point

Coombs might also

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Altering a head down is a very basic alteration. I have done many. I think about 15 minutes or so to do.

13. jljones527

jljones527 New Member

Good call gents, appreciate the other options! And great to know head alterations aren't uncommon or difficult. Knew I'd get some help here.