1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alaska Dall Sheep Cape-frozen

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by JHolzberger, Apr 10, 2020.

1. JHolzberger

JHolzberger New Member

ALASKA
    ***SOLD*****Hello all! I have a Dall Sheep cape that was taken Aug 11,2019 that I would like to sell. Being that it was my biggest sheep, I was planning on having it mounted, but that would make 4 sheep mounts, and my walls are already a little crowded, so with prodding from the wife, I did a european mount that looks great, and would like to sell the cape.

The cape was fleshed in the field, I turned the ears, eyes, and lips, and salted it twice. The cape was well-cared for in the field, and was kept cool and dry at all times. I believe it was flown out of the field four days after the kill. It was triple bagged with as much air as possible expelled from each bag prior to tying it off, then frozen. It has not been opened since. I have taken several animals in Alaska on remote hunts (1 black bear, 2 brown bears, 4 Dall sheep, 2 mountain goats, and an equal amount of buddies' animals) all have been cared for exactly the same in terms of fleshing, eyes, ears, and lips and I have not lost a cape/hide or ever had any hair slippage.

If you are interested in purchasing, please let me know. I have an idea of what Dall sheep capes go for, but would welcome offers. Also, I am in San Antonio, Texas (until June, when I will be PCSing back to Alaska -- finally). I have flown several animals frozen in coolers or insulated fish boxes, but have never shipped anything via a parcel carrier that was frozen, so I would have to look into that.

The ram was shot once broadside behind the shoulder and dropped in its tracks without tumbling. There was no damage to the cape, and I don't remember it being all that bloody other than at the nose and around the exit wound. There wasn't enough blood for me to be compelled to wash it in the river. The circumferential incision was made half way between the rear border of the shoulder and the front border of the rear quarter, so there is plenty of cape. There is a dorsal incision that y's at the rear base of the horns. I am extremely careful making incisions and skinning. While I can't guarantee that there is not one errant cut here or there, I bet there isn't more than one, and definitely nothing on the face or ears. After the initial salting, it was shaken out, then salted again.

I can take photos if you wish. If you are interested, please email or text me at [email protected] or 706-207-8985.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    ***SOLD***

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. Antlers By Klaus

Antlers By Klaus Member

Is this cape still available? If so, please send pictures and pricing to [email protected]. Thank you,

3. Antlers By Klaus

Antlers By Klaus Member

Is this cape still available? If so, please send pictures and pricing to [email protected]. Thank you,