1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ARUsher, Apr 13, 2020.

1. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to learn and do taxidermy. After reading tons of helpful information and tips on here and watching numerous videos, I finally felt confident enough to attempt my first project. Here are a couple of pictures of the bobcat pedestal that is still currently drying. I know there are a couple of things that I will do differently to improve on the next one. But overall, I am pleased with it for it being my first. Thank you to all of you experienced guys on here that share knowledge for others trying to learn!
    BC1.jpg BC2.jpg

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Very nice for a first

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Super job for a first mount

4. ARUsher

Thank you. I know the eyes and ears are not exactly right. And I lost about half of the whiskers during fleshing/thinning. Do y'all see anything else that I need to do differently on the next one? Thanks again!

5. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    Looks great. I also just finished my first bobcat. Looks like its missing some whiskers. They may just be lying flat against the face.

6. ARUsher

Yes, it's missing some whiskers and some are laying flat as well. Had hell getting them to stay out without laying back.

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Pull all whiskers out and put on pcs of tape in patterns they belong , then reinstall after . Makes fleshing so much easier and won’t lay flat after mounting. Just use a push pin make hole then dab whisker end in tiny superglue gel and put in

Vulpes Vulpes and ARUsher like this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Although I see beginners issues, I have seen far worse from far more experienced. Great job!

9. ARUsher

Thank you Tanglewood! If you do not mind, can you please let me know what beginners issues you see so I can make sure I address those issues on my next project? Thanks again!

10. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good for your first! Keep in mind that the next one will be even better. Take a hair dryer and air groom it to make it look a little less flat.

11. ARUsher

Thank you Westcoast. I actually did air groom and back brush with blow dryer and hair is pretty much as fluffed up as it will get I think. This was a south Texas cat and the fur was not really thick. But I will try that again and see if I can get more out of it. Thanks again.