1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You Want What Mounted?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Dave York, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

So Southern California is rather different. Got a call from a guy that wanted his foot that he was having amputated cleaned and the bones articulated!! He had all the paper work completed in order to keep it. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!
    I get calls from people in tears wanting Fido, their Cat and Giant Tortise done.
    I did a zebra skin for some people that died here. I’ve got a Watusi cow to do and I have a horse coming today for a shoulder mount. First he wanted a full body mount. Don’t want to rassle a horse. So the horse customer said he has a lot of friends and clients that have all kinds to different animals and they’ve been looking for a taxidermist to mount things when they die. I might have just opened Pandora’s box. I jacked up the price hoping they would say no. Didn’t work.
    Horse Feathers!

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Darn...I wanted to see a before and after of the foot.....NOT!!!

3. Dave York

Made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. EF489453-AB10-4584-9479-595233A63C42.jpeg

4. Dave York

Anyone need a foot stool? BE770CB8-C05B-4AFC-805C-9FBFBA674C7C.jpeg

ChloeP45 likes this.
  5. vic h

vic h Active Member

a gun rack would be more popular in CA. don't you think?

msestak, ARUsher and socalmountainman like this.
  6. Saeto15

Saeto15 New Member

Honestly I’d jump at the chance to articulate a human foot. That’s a once in a lifetime opportunity unless you work with medical specimens for a living.

7. Dave York

You could have made a necklace out of toenails.

Saeto15 and msestak like this.
  8. "It puts the lotion on the skin"

Lotte, Lance.G, Saeto15 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dave York

I don’t do any type of bone or skull cleaning. I have enough junk around and don’t want to mess with doing it. Now I could see a person that is set up to do skull cleaning would like to do it, maybe.

Saeto15 likes this.
  10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

had an safari client I did a rhino shoulder mount and the feet I mounted and have posted on here and also have me mount the rhino's penis to sit on his office desk.

rogerswildlife, magicmick and Saeto15 like this.
  11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Can't imagine what sort of office he works in. Not your normal conversation starter. Considering the size of it, must be some desk.
    Are you selling the legs? Might be interested in the lower part to salvage the hoofs. As for the foot .. you can send him to Skulls Unlimited. They do human remains. Problem with that is your working with biological unknowns there. You could macerate it and send him all the bones to assemble himself. But articulating that would be a pain. And it might arrive embalmed so that complicates any sort of cleaning process.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  12. Dave York

I put them in the freezer until garbage day.

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

He owned a movie theater chain across the united states. His office was huge. He also had an elephant penis mounted that Jonas bros. did back in 1970 standing in between the tusks in his office.

14. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Sounds like he may have had (little man syndrome) LOL .
    Tommy

15. My thoughts exactly!

16. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Just sent you a message .. conversation? ... I liked the old forum better. :)

17. I love this thread. Only strange request I’ve had in my young career is a blue jay that flew into a friends house and killed itself trying to get out.