1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Attaching a Skull Mount to a Panel

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by gimmall, Aug 16, 2007.

1. gimmall

gimmall New Member

I had a buddy do a european (skull) mount of my 8 point buck from last season. He did a great job, and is an amateur taxidermist. however he didn't have time to mount it to a board before I picked it up. I was thinking an old piece of barnwood or something rustic. But what is the best way to mount my trophy?

Thanks all! First posting!

Jason

2. wildwood

wildwood New Member

Re: Mounting Skull Mount to board

Center it on the board, drill holes in the board, and screw it on there :)

3. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Search the archives for a post that Michael P. did.........he explains everything you will need to know!!

4. tpolson88

tpolson88 New Member

Micheal P. has the bst way I have ever seen. Its the only way I do it know.

5. bulldog4949

I looked but can't find it!!

CALLING MICHAEL P.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE need your assistance!!

6. Re: Mounting Skull Mount to board

and we have finished pieces of cedar and others on ebay we had an elk on a bigger one and it was beautiful

7. corncob

corncob Is what your living for.....worth dying for?

If your going to mount it on a finished piece of wood or plaque make sure that you cove the teeth with something soft (i use cotton balls) because if you don't you are going to scratch the finish when you go to attach it to the board. Best of luck

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Here I be ;D ;D Give me a few minutes guys & I will put a quick tutorial together.

9. bulldog4949

Thanks Michael!!

I appreciate it!!

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

O.K. guys, this is just how I do it, i'm sure there are better way's. This is from a post I did on a European elk, it's the same principle with a whitetail or muledeer, just they are on a much smaller scale. If you got any more questions i'll ckeck back in a while. Thank's, Michael

I personally like to use a wood block in back because you can adjust it & raise or lower it with out showing any flaws you may have made drilling your pilot holes. And it is what works best for me.

I DO NOT use a yellow pine 2x4 for my wood block, it has to much of a tendancy to crack. I use white wood. I cut out the back of the head & then use a dremel tool to make any precarious cuts I may have. I round the tops of the block a little to contour to the elks inner skull. I drill 3 holes in the top of the block to give more holding power for the bondo. once bondo is set in with the block I turn the elk over & level the block and head by positioning the horns against the wall. once almost dry I scrape & remove any excess bondo. I then touch up paint any needed areas in the back. I let it set a while allowing the bondo to completely harden. I then align the head into position on the plaque & mark where I want my pilot holes. I counter sink the holes for the 5/8" x 4" lag bolt's I am using and drill me a pilot hole into my wood block. I attach a heavy duty hanger to my plaque & attach the european mount to the plaque with 1 lag bolt. I flip it over, make any nessacary adjustments and drill my second pilot hole and attach the 2nd lag bolt .[/b]

getting the hole ready
    [​IMG]

the white wood block

[​IMG]

3 holes
    [​IMG]

getting ready to add the bondo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

flip it over right away and level the block
    [​IMG]

clean any excess bondo & touch up paint the block
    [​IMG]

adjust on plaque, drill all holes & secure (plaque is from Robert Martinez @ Texas Driftwood)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished product. I also do all my whitetails & muledeer the same way, but using a 1x2 & smaller screws
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Re: Mounting Skull Mount to board

good way i think we just use 2 screws

12. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Hey Michael...the two bottom pictures in your last post have been moved or deleted! I just nominated it for the tutorial category! Where'd they go? I realize you're a little bit busy at the moment, but when ya get a chance, would you mind putting them back? Thank you!

13. nofiveo

nofiveo New Member

i second lisa nomination!

14. Danny Buckner

Danny Buckner New Member

Great tutorial by MP. Follow that and you won't go wrong.

15. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Not to take away from Michaels great way to attache the skull. Here is what works for me. I take a Drywall bolt with the colapsable wing nut put the wing nut into the skull cavity rilling a hole thru the board attache the bolt to the nut as you tighten it the wing nut will open and tighten down it will come to a point where it is tight drill a screw thru the board and int the skull to keep the lower end tight to the board. done in 5 minutes.

16. chickenhawk

chickenhawk SKULL TECH TROPHY MOUNTS

Michael thats an awesome way to hang a skull. It looks very secure, I'll have to try it.

17. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chicken Assassin

GA
    can i ask is there any way to do a mount for a wtd without cutting the back of the skull off? I got a skull with antlers but i really dont want to cut that back of the skull of like you did with that elk. I got the bondo if needed.

18. aboutpostal

aboutpostal New Member

very cool idea, gonna have to give it a try