1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Tanned Skin

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Valdo, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Valdo

Valdo Member

IMG_3936.JPG I have a question about this wet tanned skin I received back from the tannery. It has a bunch of these tears on the skin(hair side) that I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I have to say that I'm not happy that I got my skin back with a bunch of holes on the ears, nose, lips etc. and some on the neck area. At first I was thinking that maybe they had shaved it too thin and it caused a cut but I checked on the skin side and there is no cut. Now I can pinch the hair side of the skin and babysit it till it dries and hopefully it wont show but I really don't know the cause of this. The customer brought the deer on Friday, I skinned it, froze it, and shipped it on Monday in the evening and was there the following day at the tannery. The tannery fleshed and tanned the skin. I received 4 skins back this past week and the first skin was not bad but this one is bad. I want to check the other ones before I make a decision about the tannery. Did they give the new guy at the tannery this skin to practice on? Was the deer not handled correctly prior to me skinning? I've done exactly the same thing with all deer for years and never had this issue. Any ideas?
    IMG_3936.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I would first go back to the history of the deer before you recieved it. How long was it before you recieved the deer was taken. What was the temperature at that time.You recieved it on friday how many days before that was it taken.

3. 8ptd

8ptd New Member

I can’t tell by the pictures but it looks kinda like fighting scars that hadn’t completely healed and the scabs are turning loose.

4. Valdo

Valdo Member

Could it possibly be that it didn't receive proper field care?....Maybe. As I was putting the skin on the form I noticed a big hole on the brisket area that wasn't there before. I think the skin probably popped open with the pressure of pulling. I hope it's something related to field care and not to the tannery cause I would hate to look for somebody else. The tannery has been doing a very good job for years.

5. I also think they are fighting marks. I have had good luck cleaning with lacquer thinner then super gluing together. Then I temporarily pin the perimeter until the mount is dry. If there is a lot of hair missing on each side of the mark I cut & sew.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Those are partially healed scars not anything the tannery or hunter did. Normal for bucks with a bad attitude. I typically cut them out and repair. Even though it came in with them you can bet the customer didn't see them.

elk74 likes this.
  7. Valdo

Valdo Member

Well that sounds like a good explanation I can give the customer, "Hey your deer was a fighter!" I think I need to do my part and thoroughly investigate the skin before I freeze it and make sure he understands the condition it's in. The problem are the ticks and I want to avoid too much time handling the skin before freezing. Very good suggestions..I appreciate it.

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Scars , fighting, stickers , fence . Ticks , infections . Nothing to do with tanning, in my opinion

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

as with everyone, normal wear and tear of being a buck during rut

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

They are definitely NOT cut or slippage. As has been pointed out, bucks in rut get pretty scarred up and the tanning process often opens up scars, cuts, tick bites that are not very noticeable on a raw hide. Personally, I always ask the customer before repairing them as some actually like the scars of a “fighter.”

11. Valdo

Valdo Member

Thanks guys, it's reassuring to know that the tannery had nothing to do with it. The messed up ear, nose, lips, well it's something we just have to deal with sometimes but I was worried about the skin. It did have tons of cactus spines all over (still stuck to the tanned skin) not to mention ticks. It will be as close as it gets to a live deer when mounted and I hope the customer is happy LOL!!!

12. looks like you have a fighter on your hands.

13. Valdo

Valdo Member

Battle-scarred buck. I think that would be a better description. I did contact the customer and he likes the idea of having a battle-scarred buck or testosterone fueled buck mounted. He got so excited about it, that he forwarded the remaining balance immediately. I guess it turned out to be a good thing.

Fallenscale likes this.
  14. Valdo

Valdo Member

BTW I did check the rest of the tanned capes that came from the tannery and only this one had those issues.