1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Atlantic Salmon Manikin And Kit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Hallgrimur, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Hallgrimur

Hallgrimur New Member

Hello all! I just joined your forum and got the idea to ask you out there who are well versed in taxidermy a few questions, hope its ok to post them here. I caught a 20 pound Atlantic Salmon here in Iceland and I would like to mount it but there is no supplier here in Iceland of manikins or kits to do this. After looking at some videos I think I need a foam block to form and the essentials to be able to do this. Where can I find a supplier that can ship this to Iceland? Thank you for your assistance! Brg Hal.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Check with your boating suppliers or sellers for the foam billets used in them. It’s a type of foam that can be used for fish carving.
    Other methods of casting a head is , ( mold making ) plaster can be used, bondo, silicone , from the dentist alginate or jeltrate . This might help

Hallgrimur likes this.

3. Hallgrimur

Hallgrimur New Member

Thank you Frank! What about beginners kits? Know any vendors that can ship to Iceland?

4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    You can find a list of suppliers on the home page of this site.

5. Hallgrimur

Hallgrimur New Member

Of course! Thank you Frank! Just a noob....:)

6. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion. A 20# salmon is going to be very difficult for a first project. If possible you could freeze it for now and practice on a few smaller fish to get up to speed and then tackle the big boy. That way you will get a much better mount on the big fish.