1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hi Fiber? Or

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by jigginjim, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used the Hi Fiber substitute from Research Mannikins with good results.

2. Lauria Molitoris

Lauria Molitoris New Member

Hey guys I just wanted to make a post regarding asbestos. My dad was a taxidermist for many years. I was looking through his things tonight reminiscing. I found a receipt from 1981 for an asbestos purchase. I first looked on here and found old postings with a guy saying he snorts it everyday so he can get in on the lawsuits. I felt sick. I know he was joking, I grew up around guys joking, not offended easily. Just wanted to say please be careful. My dad had bad lungs and died from that disease at 79. But I just lost my husband January 1 to Mesothelioma. I wanted to tell the guy that posted to go ahead and snort it, but he wouldn't get to live long enough to enjoy the money. I won't stay here and rant. I grew up a ranch girl, love everything country. Loved being by my dad's side as a taxidermist. Just asking you guys to be careful please. I am going to fight against the sales of asbestos until my last day here, in honor of my husband. Other countries have banned it, but it is all about the almighty dollar and the US continues to sell products containing asbestos. I'm sure you have someone who loves you. My husband was a very young and agile 69 year old. He was far from ready to leave this earth and our 11 grandkids. Enjoy what you do. Life is good! I didn't mean to barge in here and I will probably be removed now. But if I can help one person, well what can I say. Take care!

3. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

I molded a 30" channel cat this week and used 'Paper Clay' Got the recipe from a guy that makes amazing replicas for trains and displays: Has flour, white glue, cellulose insulation, joint compound, and hot water to consistency. I honestly didn't notice much difference between this and Hi-Fiber. I can write up the recipe if anyone is interested in what I tried. Catfish.jpg

joeym, ARUsher and Keith like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Please do. Thanks.

ARUsher likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Would
    like to see

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There’s a new high fiber out sold at Matuska and it works great.

Mudbat likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I would be interested also!

8. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

sorry for the delay:
    this is a variation of a recipe that the English call paper clay. I keep it in the freezer and have been using it for a year. It thaws perfectly. I use a little water at the thawing to get a preferred consistency. No issues with mold.
    I use:
    2.5 lbs common flour, dump it in a bucket
    add two capfuls of lysol or any mold/mildew deterrent (the English use salt)
    Cornstarch. I dissolved two tablespoons in hot water and poured in
    White glue: think Elmer's glue. I poured two cups in
    2 heaping scoops, about 2-3 cups, of joint compound Not the powdered stuff ( that sets too fast)
    I start with a Gallon of HOT water and mix. I use a paint mixer on my drill.
    At this point, it should be a runny pancake batter consistency
    Now add Cellulose insulation. Get from Lowes, Menards, or any hardware store. This is just shredded paper. Use a little at a time and mix, then a little more until you get the consistency you want. I add a little more hot water to make mixing easier.
    you can use it right away and freeze. I think it is as good as hi fiber.
    on YouTube search under Paper Clay, there are many recipe variations. This works best for me and has for about a year. Questions? let me know I will try to help.

Clew, ARUsher and Keith like this.
  9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

The new stuff from matuska is very nice. Expensive but nice

10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    If it works good
    I’ll buy it
    The cost must be passed on to the customer