1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Drinking Whitetail Mount

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Dwb5, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I'm wanting to try to do a drinking mount. And if there is a tutorial about doing this already I'm sorry. I was just wanting to know what I need to use to make the water and how to go about making ripples in it? I'm going to do it as a pedestal with him being attach at the mouth. I also want it to look like a creek scene with small river rock as the bottom.
    I figure all thread through his mouth and attach it that way to the pedestal. Then epoxy the rock around the all thread. I think that would be the right approach. If not let me know.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ll give you a couple things , use evirotect lite for water , make a mold for ripples , I’ve used a lot of things to do that , trash bag wrinkled up , pour EL in it peel off after it kicks , lay out as desired then pour more EL on , it will blend to itself and be clear . Also cut head off form and put blocking in for support then reattach , lastly cut wood off back of form , you don’t need it and it’s extra weight , I also after it’s mounted and dry I hollow the form out all the way to head block , I leave bout 2 inches of foam only to outside of form reducing more weight, then I make a leather or decorative back board to cover hollowed out area , which is basically the whole form Time I’m done. That’s a few things I’ve done for that kinda mount . Hope that helps a little.

George, Dwb5 and Micah Howards like this.

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Ok thanks a lot. I would not have thought about the head block or the hollowing out for weight. Now I understand how to do the hollowing out of the form and prerty sure on the head block. And I'm a little confused on how to make the ripples. My goal is to have something that looks kinds like this. d28988b499972de83518bd71e5c9f7ef.jpg

4. 13 point

9E0A8415-8FB2-4B13-B362-AC7CB2659CE9.jpeg Something like this, they sell molds to use for splash and rings you can buy . first make a puddle or water scene, now get those molds or get some wet sand and spread out , leave it bout 1 inch thick , now take and make ring impressions in that sand , now lay a thin plastic trash bag on top and push it down in those impressions and pour Evirotec lite into those impressions and let it kick off , pull them out ( if they break it’s ok ) lay them on top of the little puddle you poured , where you want them and pour a little more EL on and over them , when it kicks it will blend them in

Micah Howards, Lance.G and Dwb5 like this.
  5. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

That is beautiful. That is exactly what I'm going for. I would just like the deer's mouth in the water. Would I just dremel a hole in the EL for the all thread? Then after I attach him pour the top coat of the water?

6. 13 point

If it were me I think I’d get a straw or something collapsible a little bigger size as your all thread , it has to be collapsing to get it out , then put it where all thread will be and pour the puddle then after it kicks pull said straw out leaving hole , then the last thing pour more EL in hole/all thread to hold , be very careful when moving as it can crack EL at anytime. Also to make mud take a dirt mixture and put into a 1/2 cup of fresh mixed EL and keep adding dirt till it’s thick but spreadable, then put on base spreading out with popsicle stick to make Wet Mud look .

Lance.G and Dwb5 like this.
  7. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thank you so much for your help. I would not have thought about all the things you have told me. Thanks again.

8. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

good advise! another excellent water material that is so simple and needs no molds can be found at Woodland Scenic's. All kinds of materials made for modeler's, tons of useful products and how to videos. good luck

9. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks I'll take a look at that.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I always used 13 point's method. I laid out a box of fine sand and smoothed it. Then I used a very flimsy garbage bag to cover the sand. I used various container lids up to a 30 gallon drum if necessary starting with the smaller ones closer together. Press them into the wetted sand. The plastic will pull up as you use bigger ones but the impression stays. Then as you pour your "water on", start in the center and with a small popsicle stick, insure the plastic is back down into the sand before you proceed to the next one. I just has to be THIN plastic as the thicker stuff will pull the weight of the "water" out of the grooves.

Dwb5 likes this.
  11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks everybody. I'm getting excited to try this!