1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ever Seen A White Wing Speck ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Apr 17, 2020.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

A guide buddy of mine saw this White Wing Speck a few yrs ago flying in one of the huge groups of Specks grinding in the Rice ...... This guy is pretty lucky ... so he sees the White Wing Speck last season and was fortunate enough to killed it ... Lucky to be in the right place and time to shoot it ....
    But where he really got lucky was that I was able to skin the horribly freezer burned bird .. I Kinda chewed his butt for shooting a one of a kind Speck , and not taking the extra few minutes to protect the bird before freezing it .... Didn't even clean off the mud .. Had to soak the bird in Dawn for two days .... Can't believe it , even the feet are gonna work .... It's still got a badly broken wrist that's not an easy fix ... He was leaning toward a dead Mount so if he goes with that I'll be happy .... But enough babbling
    Sorry the pics aren't better
    20200414_161445.jpg
    20200414_161416.jpg

ARUsher and Trevor Patterson like this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Very cool looking , can’t wait to see it mounted, however he chooses to get it done , I’m sure you will do a great job .

GotHonks likes this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Very cool!

GotHonks likes this.
  4. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Thanks , I'm hoping he leans toward a dead Mount for a few reasons .... The severely broken wrist (I can't fix) and I'm pretty good at dead mounts due to mounting a bunch over the last few yrs ... I'll post whenever I get it done

5. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Went with a dead Mount for this one , it's elbow was shattered as well as wrist broken . Some of you might be good at repairing those areas , I'm not so I don't mess with them ... Now that I've got this bird washed and mounted I see more than just the white wing tips , it's got a lot of white on the belly and side pockets and its not the normal Speck white ..it's shiny white like a Snow .. But I don't think it was crossed with a Snow but who knows can't find anything on this bird .... Might be the first of its kind .. Damn thing fell off the wall last night ... Surprised it didn't get ruined ... Lucky I guess ...
    20200604_112518.jpg

6. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Had a blue goose with speck stripes. MT FWP said it was a cross between and blue and speck. This might be the same thing.

GotHonks likes this.
  7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

but wouldnt a blue have black wing tips...... hmmm