1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Mount Drying Slow

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey guys, I heard about making sure mounts dry slow so that shrinkage is minimal, or pulling and such is minimal.
    What do you guys do to make sure the mounts dry slowly and not so fast?
    I’ve been putting a garbage bag over my shoulder mounts for the first day. Should I leave it longer? Any other tricks?

Thanks!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

We do this on competition mounts not commercial work cause we would never get anything done lol
    Beefing it probably yours , you generally take the bag off , check all the detail work ( improve on it while you can if needed) leave the bag off for an hour or so and rebag. Just make sure it’s in a dry environment cause if it’s wet or damp you’ll end up with mold growth.
    I’ll do this for about week or less till I see that the clay has harden up and I can barely move the skin or you can’t. Then just let it dry completely.

Jordan Park and Micah Howards like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I do it on all my mounts, bag and mist/spray with water , for 3 days , I mount pull bag over loosely, next day take bag off adjust and groom rebag, I do that twice a day for 3 days . Once it’s in a rotation it takes very little time and you loose nothing time wise .

Jordan Park, Micah Howards and 3bears like this.
  4. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Thanks Frank and 13 point! I appreciate it!