1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paraloid B-72 Mix Ratio (update)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by blindluck, Apr 19, 2020.

1. blindluck

blindluck Member

I’ve been looking at posts regarding mix ratios haven’t quite found what I’m looking for. I’d like a thin coating that isn’t glossy/ shiny. To achieve this, what would anyone recommend that has some experience coating skulls. Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There isn't a set mix ratio. You make up what works best for you and the situation. I start with a gallon of acetone but you can also use denatured alcohol. Add in, say, 3 cups of the crystals and keep stirring until it dissolves. Might take a day or so. I do a "drip test". Take some of the mix and drip it onto a bucket lid and let it dry. When you peel it up, this will give you an idea of how thick your coating will be. You can now either add some more crystals or some more solvent. I use the mix in 5 gallon buckets and have probably 2 gallons in there at least. Most skulls I drop in there for a min or so and then pull out, drain and hang to dry. The sealer will soak in to more porous areas and leave a flat finish. On more dense/solid areas of bone there might be a faint gloss. If this is not what the customer wants, I take a clean rag with some straight solvent on it and just rub the glossy areas a bit and it takes off the shine.

Gobblingfever likes this.

3. blindluck

blindluck Member

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for a starting point that’s close. I saw on one of your old post a place to buy museum service corporation. I want to make sure I’m buying enough to have a batch large enough to dunk like you. Do you store yours in a metal bucket or a acetone safe plastic bucket?

4. Does anyone have a good site to buy it from?

5. Sea Wolf

Museum Service was my last place to purchase. I bought two bags and that was beyond plenty for a couple of years. I would hesitate to use metal due to potential rust issues. I use the plastic Home Depot type paint buckets with no issues at all. They also seal tightly. Any paint store type bucket with a 2 in the triangle on the bottom will work.

I would Google it and look for places stocking it now. Try paraloid, paraloid B72 and paraloid B-72. There are other types of paraloid so make sure you pick the right one. Prices and businesses change and the last time I bought it was several years ago. Look at some of the different places that have it and compare price as well as what they charge for shipping. Make sure you look at the resin crystals and not the premixed liquid.

6. blindluck

blindluck Member

I just mixed my first batch and gave it a dunk 013E2DD8-FB5D-4DE6-B239-A6DDE63E0939.jpeg .

7. blindluck

blindluck Member

DB9E6D35-8527-41CE-B809-49CB8259235E.jpeg

8. Sea Wolf

That looks ok. Not too heavy and plasticized. If you don't like the areas that may have a shine to them (usually areas of very dense bone) you can give them a light rub with a clean, white rag with some acetone on it.

9. blindluck

blindluck Member

The picture looks a bit shinier then the eye, this mix is 3 cups b72 to 2 gal acetone.

10. blindluck

blindluck Member

Happy I chose to go the paraloid route. Here is a wolverine 63A3E180-1325-465E-859B-07456FEC8B3D.jpeg

11. Sea Wolf

Can't get much whiter than that and it all looks good too. They have also jumped quite a bit in value it seems so the investment of having one is a good thing too.

12. Gatorhog94

Gatorhog94 New Member

SeaWolf, does it evaporate a lot? Made a one gallon batch Month ago and it has evaporated to about a quart now. Was it the acetone? I kept it in a Rubber sealed container indoors. Seems to be thicker now.

13. Sea Wolf

Acetone is extremely volatile. Your cover might not be tight all the way around the top. Easy fix is just add some more acetone to thin it out. You can also use denatured alcohol to make the solution. It dries considerably slower on the bone but the end result is the same. The alcohol solution is also milky colored and not clear.