1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Information! Rijksmuseum (amsterdam) Research Project.

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Paul van Laar, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Paul van Laar

Paul van Laar New Member

Dear all,

First of all, thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I'm not too sure if I'm posting in the right place, so if I'm not please let me know and I will (re)move the post!

We've recently started researching 3 quite peculiar objects in the collection of the Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam) that use a turtle shell. The one we're focusing on now is a 17th century portrait of Frederick Henry, the prince of Orange, on what seems to be the shell of a Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia Mydas). Due to Corona measures, we can unfortunately not access the object at this time, and have to work with pictures for now. It seems that the scutes are still present underneath the paint layers, and weren't removed before painting. This, to me, seems rather uncommon, as these scutes could be used for valuable ornamental objects!

At this point we're looking into historic taxidermy practices. Does anyone maybe have any information in regards to historic preservation of turtle shells? Perhaps you know of similar objects? Or would anyone know of any contacts who could have any information? At this point any information regarding the historic use of turtle shells (whether that's in art or not) would be useful!

Thank you for your interest and help! Any questions are welcome as well of course. If necessary, I also have the X-ray images of the shell.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020