1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Career In Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by Mr Ferox, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Mr Ferox

Mr Ferox New Member

Hi guy's. This is a great place to get advice and information. I joined last night.

I will give you all a brief run down of my history.

I live near inverness in Scotland UK. I have been self employed for the last 12 years and I have 2 of my own businesses. One business is a pest/vermin control business. The other is a guided fishing charter business . Im 41 years old and im in a position where im considering a career change. Ive been close to nature, catching and trapping wildlife, fish etc. I fully appreciate and see first hand the true beauty of individual critters in their natural surroundings. Ive been fascinated with all things taxidermy and would love a career in it.

A few questions.

On average how long is training to get to a level of prepping for example a squirrel or a mink on my own.?

Are the materials, equipment, tools expensive.?

Is there any full time taxidermists out there looking for an apprentice?

I could do it as a self employed ooperator. But not sure where to head in terms of training and tuition?

Can anyone on this forum offer advice as to o about setting up or best way to get into this profession.

Thanks Mr Ferox

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not certain if there are any schools or training in your part of the world but contact the taxidermy associations closer to your home and ask. If not there are plenty here that would be willing to work with you. But FYI it isn't exactly cheap, financially speaking. Do your research and find one that will teach you on subjects geared more to your potential money makers for your region. Laws pertaining to taxidermy are a questions better answered by your government. Good luck

3. drob

drob Active Member

welcome,and good luck moving forward!AS far as materials/equipment costs,etc.it can get pretty expensive.Just play it close to the " vest" at first. When I first started my eyes where bigger than my wallet,and I still have items I bought years ago that I don't know why I bought and will never use!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry but as the resident cretin, I'm not going to blow roses up your ass. Keep your day jobs. Someone once remarked that the best way to end up with a million dollars in taxidermy was to start out with 2 million and it won't take you long to get down to your goal. At 41, this is the LAST industry I'd consider for a career change. The field is a pure luxury and in hard times, as these recent days, you'll find that your part in the chain is at the bottom. You'll spend years building up your reputation if you have the talent. Assuming that, it's at that point you'll gain clientele that won't ask you "how much" and seldom get concerned with "how long". Your average client is a skinflint who doesn't see why he is being charged so much for what you've spent on supplies. He'll bug hell out of you for weeks and then when it's ready, avoid you like the plague. When you finally corner him, he'll tell you that he "had bills to pay" (like you didn't). And most of all, he's a prostitute who'll sell you down the river for the next "better deal" to come along.
    Taxidermy is a labor of love (some will say it's a job for morons). You'll quickly find that few of your peers are willing to let you even watch them work and even fewer will take you under their tutelage. If you persist, you'll develop a style unique to you and hiring help seldom lasts long as few will meet your expectations.
    Now before you say why am I in it. Because I'm one of the morons who spent 60 years of my life doing something I truly enjoyed and gave me peace of mind. I just never gave up my day job.

antlermike, Keith, Glenn M and 6 others like this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

George does speak the facts. Try it as a hobby first and see if you really want to pursue it before you go crazy investing a lot of money into taxidermy. A lot of people try taxidermy every year thinking as you do that it will be a wonderful life making a living doing what you like. Few make it past a year and say forget it and sell their supplies and equipment, most of the time at a substantial loss. I only do it as a hobby; no commercial work. I enjoy it and want it to stay that way! Sorry if this sounds negative but, as Jack Webb (Sgt. Joe Friday from Dragnet) say, "Just the facts sir, just the facts."

George and drob like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I actually make decent money doing taxidermy, but I am an employee. Even as an employee, I work around 55 hours a week 5 to 6 days a week with no vacation pay, no paid health insurance or any benefits. My right arm and hand is shot after all these years of fleshing, altering forms and sewing. Would I do it again?.... no.