1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixing Bullet Hole In Skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ttainted, Apr 25, 2020.

1. ttainted

ttainted New Member

I recently bought a giraffe skull that has a bullet hole on the top of the head. I'm looking for the best way to fill it in so it's almost invisible. I do not want to paint the entire skull, but can try painting the area where the hole is located.

What are the best methods and products to use? I've tried googling solutions but there is surprisingly little information I could find.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I believe I’d use apoxeysculpt in white color . Find something stiff but flexible, push it thru hole glue it on the inside of skull and then start filling and texturing the hole as needed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

3. ttainted

ttainted New Member

Thank you for the advice. I've never worked with apoxey sculpt before but I've seen it mentioned a few times.

I'm thinking of filling the hole almost to the top with the apoxy sculpt and then filling the remainder with bone dust from the underside of the jaw (it's already damaged but not very noticeable). I can use my dremmel to get it really fine and then use glue to get it to adhere, then sand it down. That way the color matches and I won't have to paint. What do you think?

I might also attempt to repair the damage underneath the jaw as well if I feel comfortable working with the apoxey sculpt. I know that will have to be painted if I do.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

patch hole like 13 pt said then apply a thin layer of clear glue and dust with "sanded" bone dust

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Depending on the color of the bone and how big the hole is you could also try baking soda and Super Glue. You will need to be able to back up the rear part of the hole with tape or something. pack baking soda into the hole and drip in Superglue carefully. Practice on something else first so you get the hang of it. The repair will be rock hard but also very white. It can be sanded after but you might also top it off with bone dust like above.

George and joeym like this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you are going to try the Apoxie products, I'd recommend Apoxie "Fix It". It cures neutral white. I think Sea Wolf's advice is great, and will work for this particular issue. It will be a much less costly repair than buying Apoxie.

7. ttainted

ttainted New Member

Thank you all for the replies! I haven't decided yet how I'm gunna do it, but all this information has really helped. I appreciate it!