1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Do You Mount The Most Of (other Than Deer)?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Clovis Point, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Out of curiosity I’d like to know what percentage of everyone’s work falls into what categories? For the sake of discussion let’s lump together all small life size animals (bobcat fox coyote coon etc) and all freshwater fish, African species, and non-whitetail game heads (elk moose pronghorn etc) each into their own categories respectively.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You're likely to get differing replies to this depending on location, but for me waterfowl upland birds, 20%, freshwater fish 20%, big game other than whitetails 10% but that is declining rapidly with transport bans. Whitetails 45% and misc. 5%

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Japanese Sika deer , Fox , bear , and elk . Don’t do birds or fish

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    No doubt Bobcats would be my next largest item then fish. I've completely got away from birds except for turkeys.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

We don't have much for huntable whitetails here in Oregon as in most of the state they are on the endangered species list, however, Blacktails and mule deer on the other hand, occur in huntable numbers. So, beyond blacktails, it was elk heads then mule deer heads and antler mounts/skulls.

6. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    whitetails and african species

7. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

25% pronghorn, 20% deer, 20%aoudad, 10% elk, 10% tex exotics, 10%african, 5% other

8. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Ducks, geese and pheasants. Then big game.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My FY runs from Oct 1 thru Sept 30. Since Oct 1, here are the numbers and percentages:
    Skulls 162 (42%)
    Deer Heads 102 (26%)
    Birds 50 (13%)
    Fish 23 (6%)
    LS Mammals 16 (4%)
    Tanning 15 (4%)
    Antlers 13 (3%)
    Game Heads 4 (1%)

plus...1 stinking rattlesnake!
    Alligators don't come in til Sept. I'm thinking about turning them down this year, since I'll be 65, and have no help.

10. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Don’t turn them down, just raise your prices on them so high the ones that do get left will be well worth it .

3bears, Lance.G and joeym like this.
  11. drob

drob Active Member

What kind of vitamins do you take?! I can't let my wife read your post (she'll really think I'm lazy complaining about my work load!).

12. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Fish 40% deer 40% and ducks 20%.

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I start at 6am, take a 2 hour lunch break, and leave the shop at 6 pm. 6 til noon on Saturday, and then a few hours late Sunday afternoon. Average work week this time of year is 60 hours. We like to travel in the fall, so I want most of this behind me by Labor Day. My most productive time is the first 4 hours each morning. Customers calling and coming in take the wind out of my sail!

RoeBuck and drob like this.
  14. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Birds....wait I only do birds lol.I mainly get duck and geese,not too many upland