1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month In Fish Pictures "spring Edition" May/ June 2020!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, May 1, 2020.

1. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    upload_2020-5-31_21-41-47.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-31_21-43-8.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-31_21-44-9.jpeg

JL, Off the Hook, Mudbat and 4 others like this.
  2. Clew

York, SC
    upload_2020-5-31_21-45-2.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-31_21-45-36.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-31_21-46-20.jpeg

Attached Files:

Kerby Ross, JL, Off the Hook and 5 others like this.

3. Clew

York, SC
    upload_2020-5-31_21-49-6.jpeg

upload_2020-5-31_21-49-42.jpeg

Seminar I did for children painted Nemo
    Look at the joy they had in their faces
    If this doesn’t touch your heart nothing will

4. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Fallenscale likes this.
  5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I do lobsters the same way.

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Skinmount smallie. Real head cast fins. Fish showed up rotting due to custmer not following shipping instructions.
    199F8E4F-E1B0-4115-A9C3-17ACE20AEEE4.jpeg

7. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

9498A5A9-58E9-4088-A65C-12013428896D.jpeg My first bass using Tom Sexton’s manual. She was 8-1/2 lbs, and had a badly damaged tail from beating her bed.

8. 20200621_015725.jpg 20200621_015725.jpg my first shot at a lake trout. I'm gonna have to lighten the tail some, or strip it and repaint it(tail) it's way too dark but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

9. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

Can't you include a flaw, an air bubble or a flake of pigment in the wrong place so people will know it is not real or is done by far advanced aliens?

Swissfish likes this.
  10. Second mount and first large mouth bass...skin mount...left the fins natural, splits, etc.
    LMB1.JPG

11. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Just curious why so many mount LM Bass with the mouth jacked open and the gill plates open as well. Open Mouth and open gills together is totaly wrong

12. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I think it's because when you catch a bass and he jumps out of the water his mouth most often is open as well as his gills. But you are right under water both would not be open.

13. Well I'm not sure many do; as indicated in the text I'm new and this is only my second fish, and I haven't observed a lot of other's work. Curious as to how it's "totally wrong". In what way? Because your interpretation differs? Does a bass swim with it's mouth "jacked" and gill plates open? Mmmmmmmm...nope. But it's about preserving the memory, right? There's very few, if any, who remember how the fish looked swimming along before it took the bait...because they don't see it. So maybe it's a snapshot of the fish breaking the water...or a kid "lipping" his first keeper and hauling it into the boat. That's my take on it. Maybe some others that mount "totally wrong" can satisfy your curiosity by explaining their take.
    lmbbw2.jpg lmbbw5.jpg lmbbw6.png lmbbw7.jpg

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Then let your mount tell a story .... as to why the gaping open mouth and gill plates flaired.
    A fish on a stick doesn't convey that story .... hence the comments. Normally in this section of fish picture mounts critiques are not allowed .... but I am responding to your question.

:) :) :)

Kerby...

rogerswildlife likes this.
  15. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

OK, lets reel this back in. He's not giving the fish to his client on a stick, which, btw, has nothing to do with crabby's comment. Kerby, I think you are trying to help by suggesting he sell the story a bit more by arranging a specific vignette, which isn't a bad idea, but a well done open mouth & open gill bass is just fine.

Also, Potter isn't without some reasonable thoughts in his response. It is of course situational, and every fish taxidermist should consider all the ground here.

Clew, your posts this month are the best thing I've seen on this forum in a long time. That is awesome work. Thank you.

Fallenscale likes this.
  16. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

The simple answer is that it makes the fish look bigger and that is the pose that 90% of the bass have been mounted in for the last 40 years throughout the midwest and south. People are used to seeing it and many expect or demand it. Its not correct unless you are trying to depict an above the water, tail walking scene but.....

In the end our business is to preserve a memory more than it is to preserve an animal. Sometimes we can do both of those well, other times compromises have to be made.

Think of it like an open mouth bear rug..lol.

Fallenscale and 3bears like this.
  17. Clew

York, SC
    Clew, your posts this month are the best thing I've seen on this forum in a long time. That is awesome work. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
    1fish2fish Thank You
    Carl Lewis

18. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

A customer 3D Arp large mouth ready to go home.
    Tommy 20200622_192112.jpg

19. Swissfish

Swissfish Well-Known Member

There are many flaws and misplaced flakes of pigments on it...lol! So, no alien work at all. Thanks and all best to you, Ken 2