1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Prep In Field To Preserve Velvet.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Markredfish, May 1, 2020.

1. I would guess this had been asked several tine here. I have Been told to field preserve antlers in velvet in the field that they needed to be injected with chemical. Also bee told if it is going to be only a few days to spray them down with hairspray and take care in not bumping them. What’s my best option?
    Thanks
    Redfish

fur_collector likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Freeze is your best opinion, but soak some rags In denatured alcohol, inject DA where you can then wrap those rags around horns , keeping them wet as possible with DA then put in coolest place possible . And yes be very careful when touching and handling them .

TripleC likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I took a quart of Stop Rot for mine and it was exceptional. It can't be overstretched about handling them. Hunters love to have their pictures taken with those big fuzzy antlers in their hands. Years back a hunter showed up with just such a picture holding a huge Quebec/Labrador. Then he brought the antlers in and almost cried as a perfect silhouette of his hands sloughed of right in my shop.

TripleC likes this.
  4. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    13 Pt/George,

How long do you need to keep them wet/wrapped with the DA/Stop Rot? I normally backcountry elk hunt and try to have a mule deer tag in my pocket (when I can draw one) just in case. Depending on the timeframe in Sept some MD are still in velvet. Wasn't sure if it would be a losing battle if I couldn't get out of the woods quickly. We didn't plan well last time and my buddy's son harvested a nice MD. They ended up having it flocked and it didn't look too bad.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Well it needs to be kept on till it has soaked in long enough to preserve the velvet . Take and wrap in soaked DA rag strips then wrap with clear wrap , I have taken a tub and a few gals of DA and left in my truck , so as soon I get back in , I can get it soaking . For elk I’ve used very heavy plastic bags and poured the DA in it , it’s best to notch cut the skull plate so it’s flat , but if you cut it , it becomes non eligible for any trophy books .

TripleC and George like this.
  6. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Thank you for the advice on the DA and skull plate. I will need to add a couple of gallons of DA, rags, and wrap to my pack list.