1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammals 5-1-20

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by wa, May 1, 2020.

1. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

kitfox41.jpg

2. wa

Post ANY Mammal Shot You Got From any Year

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Just went out today.
    99D0399E-8CB4-4F11-BD91-78A7D9371655.jpeg

4. Utahtaxi

Utahtaxi New Member

Black bear cub I completed a while back. IMG_20200426_135809.jpg IMG_20200426_135855.jpg IMG_20200426_140107.jpg IMG_20200426_140138.jpg IMG_20200426_140247.jpg

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Little north Georgia bear finished up .
    Tommy 20200504_221612.jpg

Kai, Westcoast, Audra and 8 others like this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Hilbert, the classroom mascot. I actually had a student complain about having a "stuffed animal" in my room. She said it violated her religous beliefs! IMG_7099.JPG

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

lifesize.jpg

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the added poop is always a plus......

rogerswildlife, pir^2h and Wildthings like this.
  9. wa

Nice work

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I just mounted this jumping whitetail up (my second of this pose). He’s still drying, and it’ll be a couple of weeks before I really finish him up but I thought I would go ahead and post a prelim photo.
    4F468B51-8E82-4EE7-836B-BDA0C4958126.jpeg

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

IMG_4098.jpg

Kai, Daedric.oak, Westcoast and 13 others like this.
  12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice Ken

13. wa

Gray fox to start the week grayfox396.jpg grayfox397.jpg

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

15. wa

Look at the BEARs back there!! man you are a work horse
    cats nice too.
    ps I think you have every color of sculpt all.

Skywalker likes this.
  16. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

28DF1684-6B8B-46E4-852E-EBD53CC76763.jpeg EF454A34-3DA2-45B8-9414-DDED03FAB7D6.jpeg

pir^2h, Audra, ARUsher and 4 others like this.
  17. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I think a nicely furred grey fox is one pretty animal. WA you always turn out a nice piece including the base. That looks to be one big kitty Skywalker.

18. wa

The rest of the weeks mammals otter33.jpg otter34.jpg bobcat3062.jpg southernfoxsquirrel28.jpg southernfoxsquirrel25.jpg southernfoxsquirrel26.jpg The fox sq was in the freezer for 14 years (in 3 Frz bags with water) that is what happens
    when your at home forever. be safe all and smart.

drob, pir^2h, ARUsher and 5 others like this.
  19. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Greetings Tommy,

I understand the purpose of this forum is to give everyone an opportunity to show his/her handiwork, past or present. Furthermore it is not the purpose of posters to offer their work out for public criticism however accurate or constructive such criticism may be. And since everyone is and has been observing that particular courtesy, I will too because it’s a good practice even though many of us may see pieces which could be improved with a few simple tweeks. And we may even feel tempted to offer unsolicited opinions, which I have found are resented more often than not. Also, no one appreciates being put in a position of possibly having to make any excuse whatever, like, “Oh that old mount, I did that a long time ago.”

With that being said, permit me to offer a suggestion not a criticism on your half LS bear which arrested my attention as soon as I scrolled it up. The mount is fine and the rock looks like a rock and that’s all there is to it. Nothing to criticize there. However, what these two elements cry out for is something to tie the two parts together so that it doesn’t look like half a bear strolling out of a paneled wall with a small chunk of rock also sticking out of a paneled wall and stuck to one of the bear’s paws. If hung separately, those two pieces would look just as naked, anemic and inexplicable as they do together.

This presentation gives no illusion whatever that it is anything but a piece of taxidermy with a rock added. It does not invite viewers to give it a second glance, which it does not as is. Now imagine if you added a richly finished panel to tie the two parts together. That would immediately suggest that it is now more than just half a bear and a piece of artificial rock. With a panel it would now look like and become a piece of art, the same way a picture looks like a piece of art when it’s in a frame. A panel also conjures up the suggestion that this piece is someone’s hunting trophy and has deliberately been mounted and preserved as a memento of a successful day afield, rather than a creation upon which was expended the absolute minimum of cost and effort. With an artful presentation one is invited to contemplate if there is also a backstory to the hunt.

If you or any viewer here is interested in learning more of the basic elements of artistic presentation, I suggest that you get a copy and read an article I wrote just published in the May-June issue of Taxidermy Today. Here’s the first page below to wet your interest. Subscribers who have already read the full article can vouch for it's helpfulness.

I wish you long life and prosperity, Tommy.

001.jpg

rogerswildlife likes this.