1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Will A Musk Ox Smell After Mounting?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Markredfish, May 1, 2020.

1. I have a great chance for a must ox caribe combo in case I am fortunate to get a good os, If tanned properly, would a full body musk ox mount have a smell? I ask as I shot a Corsican and Spanish goat ram in NZ and even with a wet tan they hang in my barn today. That urine smell was just too much.
    I did a full body on an Ibex from Spain and had to encase it in glass to keep it in the trophy room. smell was not as bad as the goats but when I walked into the room I could smell it for a few seconds until my nose adjusted. Was told by several old time taxidermist that on most goats you never get the smell out. A few others say you have to put an additional additive in the pickle or wet tan to get out the smell. That had me thinking if I would have the same issue with the musk ox. I wondered about by two nasty smelling Javelinas but they turned out great and not smell. Any ideas?
    The Javilinas and one really nasty yote I helped do turned out great and no smell. kindly advise.
    thanks.

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The ones I have done had no smell at all. Even the Corsicana and mouflon and Spanish goats don’t have an odor.

rogerswildlife and Keith like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The musk ox should have no odor at all other than the chemical or lanolin smells associated with the tanning. They have exceptionally long hair with wool underneath and will take a lot of effort to get dry. Your biggest problem is going to be those damned horns.

Keith likes this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

The horns on the goats may have an odor if not cleaned properly. I just did 2 musk ox so far this year, and like George said, you may smell the tanning oils but that's it.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Apparently you weren’t happy with the answers in the tanning section here but you got the same results NO

rogerswildlife and George like this.
  6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Got one in by way of Denmark Nicely crated with two caribou. It was a cool breezy day so I opened it up outside. Everything was packed with about 100 gallons of foam peanuts. no smell at all to any of the animals or hides.

7. As it is deceased and it's nasal orifices are no longer functioning .. or present ... no, it can not smell. It would have to be breathing to smell.