1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can Epoxy Ears Be Remounted?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tobynitch, May 5, 2020.

1. tobynitch

tobynitch Member

I started out doing taxidermy a little over a year ago and I used to mount all my ears with hide paste. After I picked up using epoxy I've remounted my old ears to make them look much better. I s there a way for me to remount any of my epoxy ears too? When I first started out alot of my ears drummed and now that I have more experience I'm wanting to go back and fix them. Is it possible?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There are harsh chemicals that will soften up epoxy as all you need to do is use your pc, phone and google it up.
    As with any harsh chemicals it can damage skin.

3. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Just improve with fresh specimens. Use old ugly mounts as an example of where we have been and how much we have improved, or what we need to work on.

George likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The short answer is "NO". Now for the ears that drummed, I'd suggest that you take a wet, warm water , rag and stuff it into the ear. Wrap the ear is plastic freeze wrap and let it set overnight. The next day, take a scalpel and slit the ear lengthwise from the butt to the ear tip. Mix your epoxy (5 minute type), lift the side of the incision on one side and put in the epoxy. Press it down and repeat on the other side. Then take a cotton ball and press it down over the incision. HOLD IT FOR 5 MINUTES. When the epoxy cures, pull away the cotton. Any strands of cotton fiber will hide the incision and take the gloss of any epoxy that oozes out. Just be careful not to overfill the incision.

Lance.G likes this.
  5. tobynitch

tobynitch Member

This is extremely helpful thank you