1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rizzo, May 6, 2020.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Getting ready to do my first fish Mount. It's going to be a bluegill skin Mount over paper mache . What is a good formula cure for the skin to soak in. I was going to use the 50/50 alcohol and glycerin mix I use for snake skins couple many reference photos for the paint job. Am I on the right path.

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I really don't think you need the glycerin, it may (or may not) cause problems with paint sticking, I don't know. Borax solution works too.

Rizzo likes this.

3. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

20 mule team borax

Rizzo likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Put 1 /2 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax in a gallon of water. After skinning the fish, place in this solution for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours. Remove, rinse off, and mount. You can put a little Lysol concentrate in the solution to aid in getting rid of the fishy odor. Maybe a teaspoon full.

Rizzo and Wally Gator like this.
  5. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Thank you all

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've used a DP and water solution. Ron Carter advocated using it with denatured alcohol. I've used Methanol and water successfully. IN MY OPINION, what ever you use should be dissolved in or with water to insure the gills structures get treated as well.

7. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Or get a capfull of cheap mouthwash it has alcohol and helps with the smell with your borax

joeym likes this.
  8. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

As stated above forget the Glycerin. It's main purpose is to maintain flexibility by absorbing moisture from the air. It's use with formulan to inject bird feet is a farce. Besides attracting moisture, it will inhibit paint bonding, get sticky, promote mold and mildue growth and does nothing to preserve at all