1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flying Squirrel: How To Tan A Pelt ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sekhmet, May 10, 2020.

1. Sekhmet

Sekhmet New Member

Hi everyone !

I am looking for your help and knowledge ! Someone gave me a flying squirrel that they have been keeping whole and intact in the freezer. The poor critter got caught in a rat trap, luckly for me (but not so much for it). The goal was that I clean and keep the skeleton. Since it seems in good condition, I would want to try to salvage and tan the pelt.

- Do you think it could be possible, since it didn't got through any preparation (and I don't know since when it is in the freezer);
    - How could I do it "naturally", without purchasing much stuff (like special acid, or product just for tanning) ?
    - How do I deal with the patagium ?

I am not looking for a perfect result. I just want to try it for fun, and if I get to keep a pelt, perfect. I am more into cleaning skulls for my own collection than tanning, but I want to try for fun.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Here's the "Cheap Way" out. Remove ALL the red meat. Sprinkle it with borax, and spread out on a piece of plywood. Tack it all the way around with drywall nails spaced about a half inch apart. It will dry hard in a couple of weeks. You can remove the nails and display it however you wish

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off make sure it’s legal to have as done states say no.
    Then if you want to tan , look into kits sold in the suppliers area.