1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thoughts On Taxidermy And Bone Collecting?

Discussion in 'Training' started by konarktriv7, May 15, 2020.

1. konarktriv7

konarktriv7 New Member

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about taxidermy and collecting bones. Does your stance change if the animal was roadk https://xender.vip/ ill? Do you view it differently depending on the context, for example, if the animal becomes a part of a work of art, or is in a museum? I'm asking because https://testmyspeed.onl/ I personally feel very conflicted on the subject. https://nox.tips/

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve been doing Taxidermy for 34 years and have never collected bones in any way except for antlers

3. umbra

umbra New Member

I've been checking out this forum for info for awhile but signed up to reply to this. The majority of my collection is bones and I think that it's quite a fun thing to work with. If I've finished skinning an animal or I stumble across a specimen that I'd love to work on, such as some roadkill, and it's too far gone to collect the pelt, I'll rot it down differently depending on the situation before cleaning, degreasing, bleaching etc. sometimes I'll articulate and glue sections together. Teeth fall out after cleaning up a skull for example and need to be glued back into their sockets. I've never done a full articulation yet although I do plan to :). It's certainly very different from working with animal skins and other "typical" taxidermy but it's a fun way to use the entire animal (or just the bits of an animal that is too rotten to work with) as well as a way to identify that animal's lifestyle eg. finding spots of wear on certain joints, asymmetrical bone growth due to muscle injuries, missing teeth, that sort of thing.

When it comes to your other question, I don't really see any moral difference between all these things. I think that all taxidermy can be called art in some form or another and can be anything from a nice reminder of a lost pet to a work of abstract art to an educational piece to something that shows us what a currently extinct animal looks like. As long as the animal was killed naturally or didn't unnecessarily suffer I don't think that there's any major differences or issues with the preservation of an animal's remains. Even if the finished piece is created with explicitly insulting the animal in mind (not sure why anyone would do that in the first place, but hey, just an example) the animal isn't going to see this, it's not going to care.

Essentially I think that pretty much all of the moral issues regarding taxidermy should be towards how the animal is treated while alive, not what happens to it after its death.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Taxidermy is one thing. Working with bone or collections of bone is something different, not taxidermy. Yet, to do good taxidermy you need to know your subjects skeletal structure and anatomy. Source for bone is immaterial. You can make art, collect for scientific/biological interest, or make knitting needles, eating implements or tools from them.

5. drob

drob Active Member

It's natural IMO to be conflicted when dealing with methods of taking an animals life.Most hunters feel some remorse when taking an animal ( you admire and respect the animal,yet you hunt it).As far as the use of the animal ,our ancestors use of nature and wildlife was both important and nessesary.Mother nature is pretty cruel sometimes and tastefully displaying most animals or their parts is natural.

ARUsher and Lance.G like this.