1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Borax Deer Shoulder Mounts?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cliff Franklin, May 16, 2020.

1. Cliff Franklin

Cliff Franklin New Member

I talked to a local Taxidermist who fleshes boraxes and mounts all his deer shoulder mounts. Matter of fact he mounts all his mammals this way. What are the cons of this method? Definitely cheaper but if this is all that is needed why all the pickle and tan methods? Any explanations would be appreciated.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are opening a huge can of worms here on borax/dry preservative vs tanning. Opinions are hard and strong! I would discourage the use of borax only due to the slowness of the mount drying. Dry preservative is 80% talc, 15% borax, and 5% other ingredients, primarily alum, which aids in drying. In low humidity areas, straight borax would probably be more effective than high humidity areas.

3. Cliff Franklin

So in your opinion, drying time is the only drawback?

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No it’s not the only draw back , dry preserve/ borax is a drying agent and does just that drys and continues to dry , which is fine on thin hides and birds . But a thicker hide needs to expand and contract with its surrounding for longevity in the details of the mount as in leather. With borax humidity can and will rehydrate the mount and when it starts dying out again it will crack and split over time . Where as the oils in the tan will control that issue.

Sleepyhollow likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok Borax works great for birds , real small mammals and yes deer to but it should be kept under a controlled environment.
    If done under a knowledgeable person who knows how to thin a green cape ( and I’m sure your guy has no idea on this) only a few have this knowledge borax will work fine plus a excellent hide paste should be used also and I bet he probably doesn’t use any either.
    This method is used by cheap, inexperienced haxidermests! They have no knowledge on tanning, and I’ll bet even mounting anything anatomical correct or even close.
    Stay far away from this so called taxidermist as you can or get real close to them so you learn what not to do in your shop. But if you think this is the way to go , then go for it but don't ask yes why it cracked, hair fell out , lips or anything else to issues that will come up by doing this. ohh you will have plenty of cheap paying clients also.

Keith and Sleepyhollow like this.
  6. Cliff Franklin

I appreciate the information. It didn't sound right when he told me. I have been using Krowtann and have had excellent results so far. I was considering the auto tanner. I have read on here that the pressure is just a gimmick and makes no difference but..... I have a pressure cooker that begs to differ. Anything that you cook under pressure cooks about 2- 3 times faster. That being said I have seen posts on here and I agree that water doesn't compress. I just don't know which to believe. So far the only drawback to the Krowtann is the 3-4 days. I was wondering if the Cape saver or auto tanner would be worth while since the time to process is much better.

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No , and really what is the rush on tanning them , if you have a lot to do once you start the process if you do it right you can have a cape or 2 coming out and ready every day . If you don’t have to many then take one week and do all your tanning . Either way I’m not sure what the rush is . But don’t waste your money on a pressure tanner . Goodluck

Keith likes this.
  8. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I LOVE it when this crap comes up! Split, crack, hair fall out, bust all to pieces...same old wore out song second verse. I've got two personal deer mounted roughly the same time. One is in the house and the other has been in the attic for about 8 years. Both dry preserved. I'm in east Texas with extreme heat and humidity. The attic deer has yellowed terribly but has NO splitting, cracking or hair loss. The inside deer is just fine...no yellowing, cracks, etc.

Cliff, flesh thoroughly, prep your manikin, use hide paste and use dry preservative (not just borax). You can follow this link,https://www.facebook.com/byrdtaxidermy, to my taxidermy page and look through my photos. Every mount pictured has been dry preserved...yes...even the bear. I'm far from being an award winning taxidermist but my customers are happy. You can achieve good and lasting results if done correctly and properly cared for by the customer.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. Frank E. Kotula

Your thoughts on the difference between pressure and the tumbling is wrong . Pressure does nothing to the capes as the maker ( Steve Rothamal) made this fact. He also thought this was the answer and after testing he redesigned his product and just made a tumbler. I will add that if this was so true as your trying to make the point . The question is why don’t tanneries use them? The answer is pressure don’t but the tumbling is was speeds up the tanning. Pressure cooking and pressure tanning don’t mix in the world. But if you truly believe that the experts here are totally wrong then go ahead spend your excess money or waste it on something that’s not needed in this industry. It was a gimmick from day one.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  10. Cliff Franklin

So using their products and methods would completely tan a hide in just 4 hours with a cape saver or similar tumbler?

11. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Borax
    graphics-laughing-590695 - Copy.gif

12. Frank E. Kotula

Yes sir

13. Cliff Franklin

Nice!! Any recommendations on a drum?

14. Frank E. Kotula