1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Glues For Reconstruction?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ASchwartz, May 17, 2020.

1. ASchwartz

ASchwartz New Member

Hi all,
    Relatively new to this, although I have been collecting and bleaching bones for several years now. I recently acquired some mostly complete remains that I am in the process of defleshing and bleaching, and I'm hoping to be able to reassemble the majority of the skeleton when I'm done. Unfortunately, the animal (squirrel) had some post-mortem trauma when I found it, and I'll need to do some reconstruction of the skull and several long bones before I begin.
    I was wondering what the best type of glue is for this type of reconstruction. It gets quite humid where I am, so I'm concerned about using Elmers' because I know the humidity can cause it to expand and warp the bone. Any tips would be much appreciated!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Elmer's is good for teeth, but, you are correct in that it is not great for high humidity areas. If you are reconstructing bone, consider some of the epoxy putties available. I have experimented with skull and bone reconstruction with one of the two part putty brands that comes in white and have been very happy with the results. I would suggest white over grey as it will take less effort to color the repair to match. Make sure you insert a metal rod into the halves of any long bones for stability of the finished repair.

ASchwartz likes this.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

There is a taxidermy product available that i have used to repair bullet holes in skulls and for hundreds of other repairs as well. It's called Magic Smooth and it is sold by just about every taxidermy supply and I have seen it on EBay as well. It is a two part epoxy that you mix together and it is white in color when mixed. It dries a little yellow but I airbrush Pure White (Polytranspar Lacquer) and blends easily. Itisn't cheap but it works great. Wet your fingers and you can smooth it by hand. This is how I attach reproduction heads to fish skin mounts.
    https://shop.matuskataxidermy.com/products/magicsmooth

ASchwartz likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

The one I use is Apoxie Sculpt. If you look around you can find small containers of it (1/4 lb and less) if you don't need a lot of it. I also find you can use a wet finger to smooth the surface of it and blend it in. It also now comes in a lot of colors too.

ASchwartz likes this.
  5. Octane

Octane New Member

I've always used general purpose wood glue. It turns transparent when dry, and it's possible to remove if you want to redo it.

6. Sea Wolf

I have wood glue that I use on other projects. It has a tanish color to it even in the bottle. Doesn't yours dry with a yellowish/brownish tint to it?