1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bighorn Sheep!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ConnerLawson, May 18, 2020.

1. ConnerLawson

ConnerLawson New Member

I need to get the outer horns off the skull. This is an old skull that has never had them taken off. What or how would you folks suggest I get them off?
    Thank You
    Wolfmanusps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Give em a good impact and they might pop off. If not soak them in water after drilling a couple 3/16" holes in the skull, just below the horn line, angled up towards the horn. The goal is to get water up into the cores so the tissue breaks down and lets loose of the sheath (horn.)
    You didn't say where you were going with this. If its not a euro, drill a 3/8" or so hole up from the brain cavity into the core. Again, to get water inside to rot. Let them sit in water for a day or two, then bag them up and wait. Might take a while, like weeks. You will have to wash, scrub and repaint them.

I lightly boil and bleach the skull piece/cores prior to bondoing the sheaths back on to make sure they are clean with nothing growing inside.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

if they are extremely old they may never come off

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

My ram I got I let dry for measuring. I finally soaked them almost a year latter. Took a month to get the first one off and another month on the second.
    If put in with beetles would they eventually eat all the dried flesh?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

They might also eventually eat the horn also , or boar holes thru it

Keith likes this.
  6. point75

point75 Active Member

I hammer the head of a small flathead screwdriver between the horn sheath and the pedicle. Pull the screwdriver out, invert the skull and add a few drops of water each day between the sheath and pedicle. Eventually you'll be able to drive the screwdriver deeper and then insert more water. Eventually the horns will loosen and you can hit them with a rubber mallet. This takes several weeks but it works well. DO NOT USE BEETLES!! They eat the thin edges of the horns near the base.